News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Rag stuck in the gears behind the starter clutch

Started by Ecca, February 05, 2017, 09:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecca

I fattened the letters on the important bits, so you can skip to those if you want to help and don't like all the circumstantial fluff.

You can probably tell by the title that I have no clue about working on bikes (or anything, for that matter). I picked up an '82 for $100, had the forks seals replaced, carbs cleaned and rebuilt, stator replaced, and a handful of other smaller fixes. Runs beautifully now, aside from the starter not working right. The starter clutch wasn't replaced because I needed to find a new flywheel as well.

I've found a replacement flywheel and decided to see if I can do it myself so I can begin familiarizing myself with the innards and not have to depend on outside help. I've managed to remove the flywheel, but I jammed a fat folded rag into the gears behind the starter to stop it from turning. That rag is now stuck and I have no idea how to get it out. Was this a bad idea? Any helpful trick to getting it out? I'm hoping I don't have to disassemble anything else just yet.

The starter clutch and flywheel has the exact same problem every other one does, where the threads are completely stripped on the three screws and the holes are all rounded off. The replacement flywheel I have has a starter already attached, with the screws having previously been peened in slightly on the edge. They are attached extremely securely and the starter clutch itself looks like it is in excellent condition with absolutely no cracks, but also has no rollers, pins, on springs. The broken starter clutch has good rollers, springs, and pins, so is it possible to transplant them into the beautiful fresher starter clutch without removing it from the flywheel? I just want to know whether this is an impossible task or not before I attempt it.

Endless thanks for any help!

The Prophet of Doom

Try pulling on the gear that runs onto the flywheel.  It's not attached so may just pull off if the rag is not too jammed.

Yes, you can transplant the clutch innards, but do yourself a favour and re-do the bolts and peening/locktite.  They were all peened from factory, but not enough.

Ecca

You were completely right about the starter clutch bolts, they came off much more easily than I expected.

As for the rag, it ended up behind the gear that slides right off. I figured since banging on the puller was what got it stuck in the first place, I put the puller and old flywheel back onto the keyway and stuffed a wrench into the fourth slot on the puller for leverage that wouldn't unscrew anything. Worked great and popped the rag right out.

fret not

Search this site for  "peening starter clutch bolts" and, you should find some good information from several years ago.  Your new bolts should have a couple threads exposed (projecting through the flywheel) so there is enough material to round over.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!