News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Fuel leak today

Started by skucera, June 06, 2017, 12:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skucera

I arrived home smelling of gasoline, so I starting looking around for the fuel link.  This is what I found:

It's leaking at the right lower corner, so there's no other possible cause than rust at the lower corner of the tank.  Phooey!  I wish there were a repair method, but it would likely require a repaint afterward.  Any ideas would be appreciated....

The bike came with another tank and other plastic body panels painted in a cheery red, white, and blue color scheme, but not a complete set of panels, so I'll have to repaint to get a nice, complete presentation.

Scott

The Prophet of Doom

POR15 Fuel Tank Repair kit will seal up leaking seams and not require a repaint if you take care to avoid spillage

QBS

+1.  POR tank liner is also an excellent product.

skucera

Thanks, guys.  I'll look into it.

Scott

skucera

I went to put swap in my spare tank today, only to find that it has bigger rust holes than my gray tank, and in exactly the same place.  Phooey.

I looked into the POR-15 tank kit, and it looks like a very viable option.  Unfortunately, I've got to save up for it for a month or two.  Looks like I'll be driving the family wagon to work for a few weeks.  I heard that since Eastwood's patents ran out years ago that there are cheaper versions of the same epoxy-based paints from other suppliers.  I'm not sure I want to trust that they are really the same.  I've got some more reading to do on that question.

Of course, it may be a good excuse to just ride my bicycle too.  My heart and lungs would benefit.

Scott

gmac

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I have JB Weld on my '83 tank from about '03 and it still doesn't leak, and I have it on my '96 SkiDoo Elan Mukini carb bowl (aluminum) since about '05 and it doesn't leak either.

Quick fix, low cost.

To do it right get Evaporust, I bought it off the net years ago but now it seems you can buy it at your local parts store, not sure if it works the same but it did a great job on my tank. Doesn't take paint off, doesn't kill plastics, does do a great job of making the plastic outputs on your tank look like new. Also works great as a carb cleaner on old John Deere carbs, soak them for a couple days and they look like new.

So my cheapy method, clean it up with Evaporust if you can, if not sand it off on the inside and spread JB all over the holes and see it if works.

skucera

Quote from: gmac on June 20, 2017, 04:02:41 AM
So my cheapy method, clean it up with Evaporust if you can, if not sand it off on the inside and spread JB all over the holes and see it if works.

It's what the farmers do around here.  A friend who's a grass seed farmer mentioned just that a few nights ago.  The only concern is draining the tank and drying it afterward, because I can't imagine that Evapo-rust will make very good power after going through the carb. ;)  However, I know from first-hand experience that JB Weld works wonders.

Thanks,
Scott