News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Swapping instrument cluster face plates

Started by 11davie, June 18, 2017, 10:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11davie

Has anyone ever done this on the tachometer? When I had mine out of the cluster I did not see any way of doing that. The needle is on there pretty good.  The face plates on my V look really good, and if I can do this it means I can buy a less expensive cluster on eBay to fix my tach.

Levin

Rikugun

It seems to me some members were replacing gage faces with custom printed versions. I recall reading the needle can be difficult to remove and is easily damaged. Apparently if the shaft comes out the tach is dead.

I searched and found this post where a user was successful in removing the needle despite being told it is impossible to do.

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=14364.msg130320#msg130320
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

11davie

That's interesting, he used PC slot cover.  I might do more searching and see what was done.  I picked up a cluster off eBay yesterday though.  Low mileage and low fading so I'm hopeful the tach works. Last weekend I realized I never verified that it was getting 12 volts and a good ground when I tested the tach signal wire, but that all tested good too, so that just leaves something in the tach itself.