News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Another Starter Clutch Question

Started by Br4zzz, June 19, 2017, 09:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Br4zzz

Howdy!
My vision is almost road ready, last step is the starter clutch. I got the clutch out and found with only 8000 miles on the odometer that 3 bolts had snapped along with the 3rd almost completely stripped.

The clutch itself is in perfectly fine condition but the thing metal shroud that goes around it is cracked.

My questions are, does anyone have this metal piece for sale or should I just order a whole new clutch with shroud.

Here she is with her tank finally fixed and primer along with a long list of other parts that were replaced!

Rikugun

Typically when the clutch fails that sheet metal cover gets damaged so any good ones would likely be attached to a good clutch assembly that no one would want to separate. Unless someone steps up with one you may have to get an entire assembly.

Your bike is looking good there. Did you do a rear fender elimination?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

QBS

I am amazed that the attachment screws failed so completely in such short mileage.  8k miles has got to be a record.  Some Japanese worker must have been really hung over. Your bike is looking excellent.  Keep on pouring more good into it.

Br4zzz

Quote from: Rikugun on June 20, 2017, 12:43:00 PM
Typically when the clutch fails that sheet metal cover gets damaged so any good ones would likely be attached to a good clutch assembly that no one would want to separate. Unless someone steps up with one you may have to get an entire assembly.

Your bike is looking good there. Did you do a rear fender elimination?

Ah makes sense, I guess a company on ebay sells the assembly for $35 I'll just order that.
Thanks! And yes I did, I ordered a universal tag mount which fit above the tire / under the seat quite well.

Br4zzz

Quote from: QBS on June 20, 2017, 12:57:20 PM
I am amazed that the attachment screws failed so completely in such short mileage.  8k miles has got to be a record.  Some Japanese worker must have been really hung over. Your bike is looking excellent.  Keep on pouring more good into it.

It probably has something to do with how many times I tried to get it started after sitting for over 7 years... :-\

Thank you! Now to find paint to match the fenders and covers!

QBS

Be sure to upgrade your starter motor oil seal to the spring lip design.  While in there, evaluate your starter motor brushes.

11davie

Yep, it's looking good. I too have recently revived my Vision after about 15 years of garage time. Mind if I ask what tires and sizes you have? Do you like them?

Br4zzz

Quote from: QBS on June 20, 2017, 08:28:31 PM
Be sure to upgrade your starter motor oil seal to the spring lip design.  While in there, evaluate your starter motor brushes.

Starter has been rebuilt! Besides the little brass colored bushing at the end which I couldn't get out.
Where abouts can I get the spring lip seal and do you know what size?
Im guessing its the same size as the oring?

Br4zzz

Quote from: 11davie on June 20, 2017, 10:09:06 PM
Yep, it's looking good. I too have recently revived my Vision after about 15 years of garage time. Mind if I ask what tires and sizes you have? Do you like them?

They are Shinko 712 Tires. Honestly I got to ride it once down the street with the tires on it before I decided to pull the starter clutch so i'm not sure until my replacement starter clutch arrives. They are really affordable tires and I just wanted to get her rolling for the time being. I wouldn't invest too much faith in the performance.

Sizing is front 100/90/18 and rear is 110/90/18
Ill upload a picture later of the tire clearance if you'd like, the front is quite tight.

QBS

BR, offhand I don't know the size or source of the spring lip design seal.  Mine was updated to the single lip version 32 years ago and is still sealing well.  This topic has been extensively discussed on this forum. A little research should yield the answers you need.  There are two versions of the design, a single lip and a double lip.  Either will do the job.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Br4zzz on June 20, 2017, 10:31:13 PM
Quote from: QBS on June 20, 2017, 08:28:31 PM
Starter has been rebuilt! Besides the little brass colored bushing at the end which I couldn't get out.

The trick to this is to fill the bush with grease, then tap in the blunt end of a 10mm (from memory) drill bit.  The bushing will pop right out from the hydraulic pressure.