Valve Lifter Shim Replacement Complete

Started by WaterMover77498, June 21, 2017, 02:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WaterMover77498

As some of you might have seen from my previous posts, I have been bringing a "free" Vision back to life after it sat for a number of years. After finally getting the bike to start and run around my neighborhood, I found I could ride for about 15 minutes before the bike would die and not start again. The engine sounded "different" when cracking after stalling when hot. It sounded like it was working against less compression. This thought of less compression and a previous issue of compression through the rear carburetor lead me to check valve lash. I found that almost all valves were well below minimum clearance.

I finally got around to correcting the valve lash problem last weekend. I do not have the lifter shim removal tool. As such, I removed the cams to get to the shims. From what I can tell, my warm engine stall and failure to restart problems are solved. I wanted to report this to the forum to encourage other newbies who might be hesitant to try this repair. I made some dumb mistakes not related to the lifter shim work (maybe I'll tell on myself sometime), but I'm thinking if I in my very limited Vision experience can get this done, others can too.

Thanks again to all on the forum who have helped me to this point. I had to leave town right after completing the lifter shim job, so no long ride yet. Maybe this weekend when I get back.
If at first you don't succeed, open the manual.