News:

Main Menu

I'm Back!

Started by artbone, June 23, 2017, 06:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

Hi gang. I've been doing other stuff for several years but I'm about to finally get back into Visions. My bike that lived on the Isle of Man for twenty years has been sitting in my friends garage outside Atlanta for several years but this year I've decided to bring it home to Mexico and breath life into it again with some mods so I'll be posting a lot soon.

My buddy is bringing it to Barbers Vintage Days and another friend is hauling it from there to McAllan TX. I plan to drive up and take it to a customs broker, get it legalized, and haul it home sometime before Christmas.

I've seen a few bobbers and cafe racers made out of Visions but has anyone made a dual-sport? Mine is an 82 with the forward footpegs and higher handlebars and I think, with a belly pan, and some knobby tires it would be a pretty good bike for the dirt roads down here. I've got a dual-disk front end, the factory crash bars, and new MAC exhaust already so it shouldn't take long, once I get it here and get started. Any ideas on the subject will be appreciated.

Also, I'll be at Barbers Vintage Days again this year in my usual place, up the hill from the inflatable church, in the Norton area. I'm staying in an antique AirStream trailer. If you get there just ask anyone in that area for me and they'll know where I am or who to ask where I am. If anyone expresses an interest I'll bring my "Welcome Visionaries" banner where you can't miss me. Oh, and my 83 should be parked there.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Walt_M.

Hi Art, good to have you back. There has been some turnover but there is usually someone to help if you need it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

QBS

How is the Velocette project doing?

fret not

It's good to hear from you, Art.  I have some friends that have retired to San Miguel de Allende, Charlie and Cherie Wright.  Charlie ran his Honda Blackbird at the Bonneville salt flats several years ago when we were running a Suzuki Titan.  I think we're all over the hill.

The Barber vintage Festival is on my bucket list.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

QBS

Fret, speeds did the Blackbird and Titan attain?

fret not

As I hazily recall Charlie got just over 160MPH on his 1100cc Blackbird.  There were some fellows from Australia with a 750 Honda that did 220 something.  I think that one was sporting a turbo.  My brother's Suzuki did 161 in 4th gear and was experiencing some uncontrollable weaving.  I think the center of gravity was not in front of the center of pressure, a small detail but very important.  It should be better next time.

QBS

Titan at 161 in 4th is very impressive.  So basically the front end was beginning to fly?

fret not

Definitely reacting to the air (not vertical lift), and wheels on the ground.  New pistons coming from Wiseco soon.  Will run in September at World of Speed if all goes well.

QBS

Fret please forgive my intrusion.  It's just that I've always been a fan of the Titan and have heard so little about it over the years.  Why does it need new pistons?  What displacement will it be running?  What modifications have been made to the bike overall?

fret not

Significant port work, expansion chambers, electronic ignition, longer swing arm, 18" wheels, and maxed out the rule book making the fairing.

New pistons because the old ones are severely worn (one has a hole melted through it's crown).  Running in the 500cc category of the Altered, Partially Streamlined, Fuel class.  (APSF500). 
We started running in the Gasoline class but unless you buy your gasoline from the fuel truck ($$)at the course your fuel is not trusted, so everything else is classified as Fuel, even gasoline purchased at the nearby truck stop.  So it's easier to just run in the Fuel class.  That way we can run anything we want, which was usually just gasoline but my brother got the idea to add a nitrous oxide system, which is where the hole in the piston came from.  There is precious little opportunity to test anything, so all testing gets done on the course.  It would be really nice to have access to a straight and flat place where things could be tested, but anything over 100MPH gets a lot of attention from the authorities.  And there is NO TESTING OFF COURSE, so we wait in line to run each time, just like everyone else.

artbone

I was riding my Vstrom from San Miguel to Nova Scotia in 2009 and stopped to get gas before I got on the Talamina Trail which runs from some little town in Okla. to Mina Arkansas. There was a couple on a BMW at the service station and the guy came over and looked South Dakota tag and said, "Wow, you're a long way from home." (There's a story behind the SD tag but I won't go into it now.) I said, "Well, I really don't live in SD, I live in Mexico." His wife said, "Where in Mexico?" I said, "San Miguel de Allende," and she said "Oh, I've got this friend who's an artist and she live there for years and has always said it's her favorite place in the world."
We went in and had a cup of coffee and exchanged cards and that's how I met Charlie and Cherie Wright.
About 5 years later I got an email from Cherie saying that she had moved to SMA. She said, "I turned 60 and realized if I didn't get out of OK now I'd never get out so here I am." I see them around town but we really don't travel in the same circles. I loaned Charlie my KLR and we went on a ride with our club "MotoClasico de San Miguel de Allende" and I tried to get him to bring a bike down and get involved but he hasn't done it yet. They're both very nice folks.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

artbone

Quote from: QBS on June 23, 2017, 11:45:52 PM
How is the Velocette project doing?

I'm ashamed to admit that the Velo is still sitting where it was when I unloaded it off the truck. I've got some other stuff going but I haven't touched it.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

fret not

Art, it's really good to hear you have crossed paths with Charlie and Cherie, and yes, they are nice folks.

VisionMeister

So, Ron McCoy and I are planning to attend Barber's Vintage Meet this year. We are going to arrive Wednesday night so we can do the museum on Thursday before the crowds arrive. I am working on an engine swap on my red 82, which dropped a valve a couple years ago. If all goes well we will both be riding Visions in the Friday parade laps. If all doesn't go well I will bring my 96 Ducati 900 ss/sp.
Hope to see you there.

VisionMeister

This was 2012. Visionmeister and Artbone at the Norton Club campsite.

artbone

VisionMeister, I'll be at the same place and, now that I hear you're going to be there I'll bring the banner if I can find it. I"m looking forward to it.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650