News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Barbers Vintage Days

Started by artbone, June 29, 2017, 09:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

Are there going to be any other Visionaries at Barbers Vintage Days this year? If you haven't been you owe it to yourself to make it. It's one of the most extraordinary motorsports venues I've ever seen. The world's largest collection of motorcycle surrounded by an extraordinary race track with vintage racing, a world-class auction, Wall of Death, Ball of Death, swap meet, and the most eclectic group of spectator bikes I've ever seen. Nortons, CBXs, Velocettes, are a dime a dozen. But you won't see many Visions. Ride in on your XZ550 and you'll have someone to talk to. I guarantee it.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

artbone

It looks like we'll have 3 Visionaires at Barbers this year and, hopefully 3 Visions. I'm going to be camping with the Norton folks again this year and I intend to bring the "Welcome Visionaries" banner. Just come up the hill past the inflatable church and look for the Norton banners on the right. I hope some more members make it.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

fret not

Art, how about a report of the Vintage festival?  Did you have a good time?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Ron_McCoy

Visionmiester and I trucked our Visions from California to Barber's. After three days of driving, we reached Birmingham Wednesday evening. We stayed several miles from Barbers which gave us a nice ride each way through winding, tree lined roads. We spent Thursday touring the amazing museum, more than a quarter of a million square feet and 1500+ motorcycles. Lots to see, the day seemed to go by very quickly before we were asked to leave because they were closing.
Friday the festival started and practice for the races. We parked in the Norton section at Artbone's camp where we got to meet him a little later. They have several trams to take you around the circuit
to the different areas, concessions, shows and the amazing swap meet. In the afternoon we did the parade laps which were quite spirited, a lot of fun.
Saturday was racing and another visit to the museum. They announced in the afternoon that Sunday's events would be cancelled due to Hurricane Nate  arriving that night. We rode back to the motel, loaded up and hit the road.
This was a great time and a lot of fun. I highly recommend the festival or just visiting the museum. Terrific venue and amazing museum.
Oh yeah, we had the only Visions there.

QBS

Ron,I'm glad that you and Vm got to experience Barbers.  Several years ago my wife and I caught the Festival on the tail end of a vacation.  The sights and sounds are so much fun, and very educational.  We camped up on the hill overlooking the track et. al.  Not at all peaceful, but an amazing experience.  The museum must be seen to be believed.  And, even then, it's pretty unbelievable.

fret not

Gentlemen, thank you very much for the report!  Barber Motorsports Museum is on my bucket list, and to do it with the vintage festival would be even better.  I guess I had better make some real plans if it is going to happen.  Maybe next year. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

QBS

Fret, google barber motorcycle museum.

Rikugun

Quote from: fret not on November 05, 2017, 11:20:57 PM
Gentlemen, thank you very much for the report!  Barber Motorsports Museum is on my bucket list, and to do it with the vintage festival would be even better.  I guess I had better make some real plans if it is going to happen.  Maybe next year.

+1 on that. Thanks for the report.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

jefferson

Barber is Mecca for any motorcycle enthusiast. The festival would just be icing on the cake. You must go, no excuses.