News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

wow, Harley almost gets it

Started by admin, June 30, 2017, 10:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Neither is my kind of bike.  However, the Yamahas' numbers have no trouble making the case.  The Harley ergonomics look deadly.  Good to hear from you Ron.

artbone

Lighter, better fit and finish, cheaper, faster. Wow, why would I want the Harley?
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Walt_M.

I am afraid Harley is done for. The Street Rod would have been good 20 years ago. I am not a big fan of the FZ styling but I would choose it over the Harley.
Whale oil beef hooked!

skucera

Modern 750's that make the same power as our 35-year-old 550's, with all the benefits of modern engine design?  I'm disappointed with both of them, oddly.  Neither one quite suites me.  If I were in the market for a new bike in this category, I might look more at the Triumph Bonneville, or a Ducati Monster, over even a little BMW boxer that I saw outside the local BMW motorcycle dealer day before yesterday.  But, my Vision continues to be perfectly satisfactory, so if I can solve my leaky gas tank I won't be in the market for anything.

Scott

artbone

Quote from: skucera on July 02, 2017, 11:29:00 PM
Modern 750's that make the same power as our 35-year-old 550's, with all the benefits of modern engine design?  I'm disappointed with both of them, oddly.  Neither one quite suites me.  If I were in the market for a new bike in this category, I might look more at the Triumph Bonneville, or a Ducati Monster, over even a little BMW boxer that I saw outside the local BMW motorcycle dealer day before yesterday.  But, my Vision continues to be perfectly satisfactory, so if I can solve my leaky gas tank I won't be in the market for anything.

Scott

If you'll notice the new Yamaha weighs 387 against our XZ550s 470 and I think they've changed the way they measure HP. I think (and this may be completely wrong) they measure at the rear wheel now as opposed to the crank in the old days. I rode one of the new Yamaha triples last year and was very impressed. I've got a 15 Triumph Scrambler and I was very unimpressed with the power until I removed the air induction system and installed a Triumph Twin Power tune. Now it's acceptable but it's still a heavy bike. Light is good.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Walt_M.

If I had to get another bike it would be either the FJR900 or XSR900. I just love the sound of that triple and I don't mind the look of either.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

Quote from: Walt_M. on July 03, 2017, 01:56:33 PM
If I had to get another bike it would be either the FJR900 or XSR900. I just love the sound of that triple and I don't mind the look of either.
I'm quite enamored with the sound of a triple as well - 2 stroke or four. One of my brothers bought an FJR900 last year and seems very happy with it. They apparently have a weak cam chain tensioner and the dealer wasn't responsive to this known problem. He ended up buying an aftermarket manual unit and the problem is no more.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Ron_McCoy

If you want a middle wait V-twin, an SV650 blows the Harley away for about $3000 less. Ducati Scrambler does too.

fret not

I love the SV650 engine but not the seat.  The discomfort increased as the miles rolled by. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!