News:

Main Menu

XZ550 STARTER QUESTIONS

Started by Andrew, July 03, 2017, 05:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

Does anyone know if a VIRAGO starter will fit my xz550? If not does anyone know what parts will cross over from other Yamaha's?
Thanks
Andrew

Walt_M.

I don't know if a Virago starter will fit but the Vision starter is a relatively easy rebuild. Do you have your original starter?
Whale oil beef hooked!

Andrew

Yes I have the original starter. I have ordered a rebuild kit. It will be here Wednesday. I noticed the brushes on mine were way shorter than the kits. It was strange, if I loosened the screws holding it together  it would whirl over no problem. I don't know where all the washers are supposed to go. It was obvious someone was in there before me. Do you have a diagram of where the washers /shims are located? 

Walt_M.

If you go back to the resource page there is a very good tutorial on rebuilding the starter. Have a look and see if it will help you through.
Whale oil beef hooked!

artbone

Also, I'm checking out some new cables for Triumph T160 and Norton Commando projects I'm working on. They're from Motolectric in SF CA. If there's a significant increase in starting power I'll see it they will make a set for Visions. They ain't cheap but, according to their website, cables deteriorate over time and cause starting problems. I'll be the judge of that. I'll let the group know my verdict. 
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

cvincer

I've  'made up'  & installed several starter motors but never ended up with one that turns over

really quickly.   Have not installed any expensive leads from the starter to the battery, instead have

2 of the OEM leads from battery to starter (+ ensured a good earth)......... the battery pumps out

310cca.  The important thing is that it always starts after a few revolutions (cold)  & on the button

(hot).

artbone

I installed my new high-dollar battery cables today and I must say I'm impressed. Here's a picture of the new leads and the old together and you can see the new ones are much bigger especially the lead from the solenoid to the starter. I attached a volt meter and when the engine is cranking over the battery still has about 10 volts. Before it was 9. And the starter motor turns faster.

I think you could do the same thing just by buying some larger gauge wire and soldering on some leads which is what I'll try next time. Oh, and clean every connection with  Scotchbrite, followed by contact cleaner, followed by dielectric grease.

According to the Motolectric website a tight fitting crimped joint is more conductive than a soldered joint. I don't know about that.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Ken Williams

I agree with Motolectric in that a tight fitting crimped joint is more conductive than a soldered joint.  Additionally, a soldered joint requires stress relief in the region where solder wicks away from the joint into the cable to avoid vibration induced damage.   

artbone

For soldering ends like battery cables and also throttle and brake cables I use a little pot of solder I heat up with a torch and just dip the ends in the liquid and it becomes one piece and that seems like as good an electrical connection as you can get but what do I know. I could very well be wrong. It won't be the first time.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

The Prophet of Doom

According to NASA...

Quote from: NASACrimping is an efficient and highly reliable method to assemble and terminate conductors, and typically provides a stronger, more reliable termination method than that achieved by soldering.

pinholenz

My starting improved dramatically when I replaced the original cables with the heaviest guage cables that I could bend around corners from the starter solenoid to the starter,  and from battery to earth.

My local auto electrician quickly made cables up for me to match the lengths and terminals that were on the old set. It was one of the best improvements I could have made.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

fret not

Finer strands and lots more of them.  One of my neighbors is a Mercedes mechanic, and he showed me his jealously guarded jumper cables, which were quite flexible and rather thick.  He said they were the sort that tow truck drivers carry because they can deliver more current than the stiffer cables made with fewer strands.  He's a very smart guy so I believe him.  :police:
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Andrew

Got my rebuild kit, replaced everything. Starter works great now, thanks everyone.

The Prophet of Doom

Fine stranded wire is lovely to work with - especially the silicone coated.  My leads are 6GA Silicone Covered but can still bend tightly.  $12 a metre vs $8-$10 - not worth getting cheaper shittier stuff