News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Accelerator pump??

Started by Andrew, July 07, 2017, 08:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

ACCELERATOR Pump.... Im back.... I have a couple of  questions...
Can I check my accelerator pump without removing carbs... Everything else seems fine. Just don't have any spray at all
Does the bike have to be running to see the fuel spray.?
How do I fill the back bowls in the carbs without removing them? Shouldn't they fill by going through the main fuel line.? I have one line blocked off and filling the carbs with a funnel and a hose while I'm working on this. Does it matter which line I use to fill the carbs? Sorry for all the questions but I'm so close on this one..... Just bogs on fast throttle twist... Thanks everyone

Andrew

The Prophet of Doom

Can I check my accelerator pump without removing carbs...
Yes, you can take the tops off and leave the rest in place.  Learn how to take off the carbs though, else you can't clean them.

Just don't have any spray at all Does the bike have to be running to see the fuel spray.?
The bike doesn't need to be running.  It's entirely mechnical.

How do I fill the back bowls in the carbs without removing them? Shouldn't they fill by going through the main fuel line.?
They are both fed through the same line and there's a T connector just inboard of the choke mechanism.  You need the petcock on PRI else no fuel will get through.  Without the bike cranking it takes a while for fuel to get through the fuel pump

I have one line blocked off and filling the carbs with a funnel and a hose while I'm working on this. Does it matter which line I use to fill the carbs?
Funnel and hose is not safe for working with fuel.  Buy a pony tank or make one with an old coke bottle and some hose and some fuel safe sealer. There is only one line.  Download a manual and inspect the diagrams

Sorry for all the questions but I'm so close on this one..... Just bogs on fast throttle twist... Thanks everyone
Yes it will bog horribly with no accellerator pump.  Time to clean your carbs I'm sorry to say
:D

Andrew

Thanks for answering my questions. It looks like such a different carb set up. Those carbs will come out of there fairly easy? Any tricks? Do most carb rebuild kits include the accelerator pump pieces? Where would be a good place to get the rebuild kits?

jefferson

When you remove the carbs be very careful around the plastic nipples the drain lines go to. Best not to break one off.

Walt_M.

They do not come out easily unless you have done it a lot of times. They will not come out from the top. You have to remove the cables and hoses and loosen the clamps. Then you need to move the wiring harness under the left frame rail out of the way. Then you need to lift the carbs from the manifold and rotate them clockwise and work them out under the frame rail. And, as Jefferson said,  be careful of the nylon drain nipples on the bottom of the float bowls.
Whale oil beef hooked!

The Prophet of Doom

Andrew

The 82 had completely different carbs? Is the fuel pump and accelerator pump the same on both years?

Andrew

Does the 83 carb kit from Sirius Consolidated include the accelerator pump gaskets as well?

Andrew

Questions questions....... Lol..... Just curious.... By the way I have ordered  a carbs rebuilt kit. While I'm waiting though I have another question. This one may be dumb but I'm going to ask it.... Where does the accelerator pump draw its fuel from? Would the bowl level affect the pick up point of the accelerator pump? Is it possible that the bike can run well on the fuel level it has now(and maybe its lower than the norm)  and the level is too low for the accelerator pump to grab its fuel? Just curious about that? If anyone wants to tackle that one it would be appreciated...... Thanks

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: e.m.forsterSpoon feeding in the long run teaches us nothing but the shape of the spoon
All this information is in the manuals