News:

Main Menu

Wire Wheels for a Vision

Started by artbone, July 08, 2017, 04:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

If you snooze, you lose. Someone just bought the set of wheels I was planning to buy. I saw them last night and when I went to buy them a few minutes ago they're gone. Damn!
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

artbone

This may work out better. I just bought a rear wheel from an xv535. From the pictures it has the 5 bolt spline. At least is was cheaper than the xv700 I was looking at. They were $400 for the pair and this is only $99. I think I can probably find something in Mexico for the front. That looks like it should be fairly easy. Maybe an XS650?
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

artbone

Just pulled the trigger on an XS650 wheel with provisions for dual disks for $80 plus shipping on ebay. I'm hoping the axle size is the same. If so, it should be an easy transplant. It doesn't have disks so I'll start looking for something from EBC or one of those companies that make custom disks.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

The Prophet of Doom

XV535 if I recall has a smaller 15mm axle so you'll have to plan for a bearing swap, and using the XZ spacer. 

EBC disks are expensive - $US100+ each - plus postage.
Unless you particularly want new ones why don't you just unbolt the disks from the XZ and use them? The XZ looks like the same 6 bolt pattern. 

artbone

The front wheel I've ordered is from an XS650, not an XV. And, or course I'll check to see if I have anything that's useable before I go ordering new disks but I'm afraid, given the mish-mash of parts I have, I'll probably have to have custom disks. I think it would be hard to find exactly what I wanted when you consider bolt pattern, disk diameter, and offset. Oh well, if it was easy and cheap everyone would be doing it.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

artbone

I got the XV535 rear wheel yesterday and got a chance to look at it today. I pulled the spline off the XV and the spline off the XZ and they are the same bolt pattern, however there is a little shoulder on the XV wheel that keeps the spline standing proud about 1/4 inch so I got out the bolt cutters and cut the spokes, put the hub in the lathe and turned it down. Took about five minutes to do after I spend 30 minutes setting it up, grinding a tool, etc.

After removing the little sheet metal dust cover, which isn't needed because the XV wheel has a deeper flange that covers the opening like it was made for it, the whole thing looks very doable. I punched the bearings out and I'll order then today, along with a brake backing plate, then see how it all fits in the swing arm, when I get my parts back from the painter.

The first picture shows the XV wheel with it's internal spline and the XZ spline. The second shows the shoulder that has to be machined off and the third shows the spline installed.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

artbone

I'm going to order my spokes and rim from Buchanan's today. I decided to go with the an 18 inch and stock width on the rear. That way, I can adjust the rim a little if it needs it to line up with the front. I'm thinking polished SS spokes and nipples and anodized gold rim.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

QBS

Are you going to put the wire wheels on the '83 restoration?

George R. Young

Quote from: artbone on July 09, 2017, 05:46:12 PM
Quote from: George R. Young on July 08, 2017, 09:23:47 PM
Wire wheels imply tubes which imply blowouts if you get a puncture.

I've had tube type tires on the majority of motorcycle I've owned in my life and my '17 Africa Twin and my '15 Triumph Scrambler both have tube type tires. I've had many flat tires but never a blowout on a motorcycle in 60 years of riding.
Alrighty, a reference
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/seal-motorcycle-wire-wheels-to-use-tubeless-tires

artbone

The wire wheels are going on my second Vision when it get here. I will put them on the 83 just to make sure everything fits and I'll be sure to post a picture. I think I just got lucky with my wheels. My friend Charlie is visiting from SF CA and when I mentioned I was going to lace up gold rims he said, "I think I've got 2 gold rims you gave me when you moved to Mexico." I knew I had some but I didn't remember who got them in the move. He's taking the hub home with him and he's got a wheel smith who will make the spokes and lace it up for me for a lot less than Buchanan. When I get the front I'll figure out the disks etc and let him take the hub back and get it spoked up. One less job for me.

Oh, and the wheel smith will leave the spokes a little long so I can adjust the wheel to the exact centerline of the bike, then cut them off. That's got to be better than 10 CM off line.

I don't know where the writer gets his info but I've had as many slow leaks on tube type tires as tubeless and, as I said, I've never had a total blowout. I like tubeless because they're easier to repair on the roadside but I don't see any difference safety wise. I don't think I want to try sealing up the nipples myself until a lot more people have tried it. I've read several accounts of people with good results but it looks risky to me.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

artbone

Still fiddling with the wire wheels. I've got the rear figured out. My friend took the hub to his wheelsmith guy and, long story short, the guy didn't want to do it so I'm back to square 1 with that but I did figure out how to get the rear wheel changed without removing the rear gear. The only thing keeping it from fitting is the little pertrusion on the backing plate where the axle goes through. I can just machine that little hump off, about 1/2 inch, and it'll slip right in. Then I"ve got to make a small spacer to take up that space. The backing plate is plenty thick there. I sort of hate to mess up the nice shiny polished backing plate but I'll probably powdercoat it anyway.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

The Prophet of Doom

I am so interested in this.  Do you have a pic of the protrusion?

artbone

I'll take one when I go to the shop. I forgot that I also took a little off the spline. This is much easier that trying to modify the swing arm.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

artbone

I can't understand what the problem is but I can't post pictures I took with my iPhone. I'm almost positive I took the other pictures with my phone.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

artbone

Okay, I'll try again. I downloaded an app that lets me convert JPEG to PNG. What a PITA. To post a picture, first I have to email it to myself in a smaller size, then run it through this app and convert it. Ah well, if it was easy everybody would be doing it.

Anyway, the picture of the brake backing plate shows the part I'm going to cut off as soon as I get my mill working. I won't take 5 minutes but it's going to take several hours to get the mill set up.

The second picture shows what I cut off the spline. I might had cut a little too much because the hub now rubs (slightly) on the flange but I think I can dress it with a file and it'll be good.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

fret not

I can appreciate the set up time for a machining procedure.  On old friend long gone used to work at Aerojet (Rocketdyne now) and ran a turret lathe.  He told me of a run that took him his whole shift to complete the set up that the fellow from the previous shift had begun, and the next shift ran the process in about 45 minutes for all the parts they needed.  This was with "paper tape" rather than floppy discs or more modern data storage.  Makes me wonder, where is the "Millennium Falcon" for MotoGP?  It's probably coming, but not so soon.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!