News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Valve Shim Tool - Again

Started by artbone, July 12, 2017, 03:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

There are no valve shim tools to be found at least not for sale to the public. I think a couple of places I tried sold "to the trade" only. There are none on eBay and none on Amazon. Does anyone know if the tool for a Yamaha Venture will work? They seem to be readily available. If they won't work does anyone think they could be modified to work? The pictures look very similar. Looks like it would be easier to grind on that than starting with a 22 MM wrench.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

cvincer

Whilst you were away from the forum for a while,   'pinhoenze'  fabricated & sold some tools; perhaps

you could contact him.

artbone

Yes, I saw those but they're in Australia and I'm in Mexico. The logistics are not favorable. I've got a friend who might be able to make me one. We'll see.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

Rikugun

I may be able to help you out. Do have a way of sourcing shims?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

turbosteve84

Unsolicited advice...

I'm friendly with my local cycle shop. We have a "swap shims" relationship. It's just that. I measure tappet clearance, pop the shims that need replacing, and then swap those shims for the ones I need with the shop. I haven't bought a shim in 20 years.

Like Mom said, it always pays to be friendly.

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

PwrManDan

get a quote from DHL or UPS Worldwide express - you might be surprised.

The Prophet of Doom

The cost of an envelope from NZ to Mexico would be bugger all.  About $US10 for 2-10 day delivery
Drop Pinholenz a PM see what he says.

artbone

My buddy is a machinist for an airline and he can knock this thing out in about an hour with the equipment he's got so I'm going to give him first shot at it. One of the places that had them but wouldn't do business with me now is sending me emails asking if I'm still interested in buying the item. The company is called Best Turf West. Would some of you take a look at their site and see if it looks legit to you. They want like $75 for the tool but, if it's legit, it's probably the Yamaha tool or at least looks like it.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

The Prophet of Doom

The picture is of two different tools.  The one on the left is a genuine Yamaha, on the right is probably the K&L tool.  Note they specify that it's a K&L.  See that it's a bit wider in the bottom.  As long as it fits between the shim buckets than that's a good thing - the Yamaha one is really easy to go on a jaunty angle and lift only one side.

Unless they have it in stock, then it's no longer available though K&L - I've tried.

Site looks legit enough

Even though I have a tool (and not about to sell it) I've found it nearly as easy - just to undo the cam clamps, lift up the cam and replace the shim.  But you do have to be sure to re-set the cam timing properly afterwards.  The shim  tool is pretty fussy to use.  That's how they do it at the local Yamaha dealer - they don't have a tool.

Either way your bike will love you for it.

Also...
This tool for the SECA looks very similar and a decent price.  Only buying it would tell if it works - You might need to chop off the handle.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-VALVE-SHIM-TOOL-tappet-depressor-YM-04125-seca-2-xj600-xj750-xj-xj900-900-/291742067138

artbone

I know this is probably covered in the manual but how do you get the tension off the cam chain so you can take the cams out? Do you have to break the chain or just release the tension and take the chain off the sprocket?
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

The Prophet of Doom

Just undo the chain tensioner on the side of the cylinder.  Then you can lift the cams out quite easily.

pinholenz

Artbone,

OK, just so everyone knows, calling a New Zealander "Australian" is just about as insulting as calling a Canadian, "American"
Same neck of the woods, culturally, totally different. And did you know New Zealand is the home of the "America's Cup?" We just beat Team Oracle a couple of weeks ago for the oldest sporting trophy in the world

I'd be happy to provide you with a laminated Valve Shim Tool or, if it helps, email you the profiles that I used to make them so your buddy can have a go.

And next time you are in this fair country, we'd be happy to put you up. We are near the bottom of the North Island in a place called Whanganui. The Cemetery Circuit motorcycle races here on Boxing Day are quite fun.
All the best,
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

artbone

Quote from: pinholenz on July 20, 2017, 08:03:31 AM
Artbone,

OK, just so everyone knows, calling a New Zealander "Australian" is just about as insulting as calling a Canadian, "American"
Same neck of the woods, culturally, totally different. And did you know New Zealand is the home of the "America's Cup?" We just beat Team Oracle a couple of weeks ago for the oldest sporting trophy in the world

I'd be happy to provide you with a laminated Valve Shim Tool or, if it helps, email you the profiles that I used to make them so your buddy can have a go.

And next time you are in this fair country, we'd be happy to put you up. We are near the bottom of the North Island in a place called Whanganui. The Cemetery Circuit motorcycle races here on Boxing Day are quite fun.
All the best,
Sorry about that. I didn't know you were in NZ. No insult intended. But we don't get insulted if someone says we're from Canada. If you said someone from Georgia was from Alabama or Mississippi they might get insulted but not Canada. People from GA aren't sure where Canada is located so how could they be insulted?
I believe we spent the night in Whanganui in January. We spent one night in Whangamomona on the Lost World Highway in a really great old hotel and I think we stayed you your town the next night on the way to Wellington.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650