News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Flasher Relay

Started by a747freak, July 20, 2017, 02:00:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a747freak

Hello all,
Forgive me if this has been asked before, I tried searching but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

My Vision did not have any blinkers on it when I got it a year ago.  I put LED blinkers on it knowing they wouldn't work right due to the bi-metal flasher relay, but I had enough other issues to fix before it was even rideable that I didn't care.  Now I finally have it rideable, and I bought not one but two different 3 pin flasher relays that appear to have the same pinout as the original without any success.  With the original relay in place, the flashers will at least light up and stay lit, on the appropriate side.  With the second relay I just tried, they won't light up at all.  The indicators on the console light up for a split second before going out.  The first relay didn't even do that.

What I'm really asking is..what relay do I need to make this work?  Or am I missing something?  Much appreciated!

Walt_M.

Try superbrightleds.com and you should be able to find what you need.
Whale oil beef hooked!

a747freak

Not sure what you mean.  They don't even have a 3-pin relay listed, just a bunch of kits.

Walt_M.

I said you should be able to to find what you need. But if you don't want to you probably won't.
Whale oil beef hooked!

The Prophet of Doom

Normally LED indicators flash at 2-4 times the normal rate.  This is fixed with load resistors - Search ebay for "LED load resistors" they are fairly cheap.

As for the relay - They aren't all the same pinouts so you need to follow diagrams  They also need to be the correct current rating.  On the XZ you may also have the self cancellation unit in the circuit and I don't know how well that handles LED loads.

turbosteve84

I was told (haven't tried it) that in place of cumbersome LED resistors you can simply buy LED relays. If you have a small, independent motorcycle shop in your area ask someone there. This (LED blinkers) has become a popular custom mod and should be easy to implement.

On another front I believe the blinkers should not be grounded. If you've done some LED blinker adaptation and the metal bodies of the blinkers come in contact with the metal mounting bracket your blinkers will not work.

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

turbosteve84

Freak, if you want to try splicing in resistors PM me your mailing address (you're in PA, correct?). I have some that I bought last year but never used. I can send them to you, no charge of course.

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com