News:

Main Menu

Bad stator

Started by skucera, July 23, 2017, 10:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skucera

Last Monday night my motorcycle died at a traffic light on my way home from work and it didn't have enough juice in the battery to restart.  Luckily, I was next to the HQ of the local electric utility, so I pushed my Vision the block up to their driveway, then 2 blocks in to their motorcycle parking area, which has security cameras and 24 hour security patrols.  The bike was absolutely unmolested the next morning when I brought a rented trailer back to retrieve it.

Since then I read the FAQ's on Vision charging troubleshooting.  The charging system isn't generating any new power at all, with system voltage of 12.3V at 3000 RPM.  My battery is fine, with a nominal 190 Amps on my tester, which is a shame because it would be cheap to replace if it weren't.  The stator is well and truly screwed, with all three wires conducting to ground with only 0.8-1.0 Ohms of resistance, instead of infinite resistance.  Phooey.   The regulator/rectifier appears to test out OK, but the tests only assume that power flows into it correctly with the key in the ON position, which doesn't seem convincing to me.

So, now I get to find a new stator... or a rebuilt one... or a used one in good shape, although that seems like the riskiest solution.  <Sigh>  Does anyone have any helpful advice on where to get a good one, or if they're all good, then where to get one economically.

Thanks,
Scott

George R. Young

Yes you need a new stator.

You may also consider replacing your shunt reg/rect with a series type, even if it tests 'good'. This blurb
http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/SV650/seriesRegulator.html
talks about a Suzuki, but is equally applicable to the XZ550.

QBS

skucera, if your starter motor clutch hasn't had its' attachment upgraded, now is the time.  Also, hard wire the three stator coil wires to the reg/rec wires when you install the new stator.  I would never install a used stator coil.

The Prophet of Doom

It's a G07 stator.  Same as Virago, FJ1300 and a slew of other bikes.  The rubber seals as it exits the engine  I think are unique to the XZ. 

Ricks stators seem to have a good reputation.  Available on ebay.

I got mine re-wound for about 1/3 the price.  You can re-wind your own if you have patience

pinholenz

All good advice. I took a chance and replaced my stator with a used G07 unit from a Suzuki. Doing it again I would definitely go for new if I could afford the extra $.

However to back yourself, the latest Shindengen SH775 Series type R/R are reputed to be  better than any of the Mosfet R/R's which in themselves were a huge improvement on the original R/R's. Fitting one should almost completely eliminate the tiresome "frying" of stators in the XZ550,

The SH775 are a "series"R/R and only draw current from the stator when required.  They are self-sensing so the brown sensing wire on the original loom can be capped off.

I sourced mine off a used Polaris ATV very cheaply. If you do this, try to get the plugs and tails as well. This will save messing around sourcing extra bits. Never looked back.  However the price of new SH775's has dropped dramatically.

There's another informative article here from early adopters.  http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php?topic=20426.0

Oh yes, and while the cover is off, make sure you clean the oil level window glass!

Good luck
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

skucera

Thank you all for the excellent advice.  I bought a refurb to save a little money, but it's got a warranty.  I've got to wait on the regulator, sadly, because I've got to replace a couple of dry-rotted windows in my house before it starts raining again.  That may be a wintertime upgrade, if my finances ever recover from the house repairs. :P

Ooh, yeah, I've definitely got to remember to clean the oil level window.  Great idea.

Thanks!

Scott

skucera

I've got the week off, so I installed my new stator with my middle daughter this afternoon.  She wants to be a motor machinist's mate in the Navy, so she did half of the work, which was really nice, actually.  Everything went well except removing the Philips screws from the old stator, which took my impact driver to get done.  We bought new screws to replaced the buggared screws that came out.  The rest of the repair went by the book.  I'm also pleasantly surprised to see I have no leaks too, despite having to use the gasket.  All in all, a success, and the battery was charging strongly afterward too.

Thanks, everyone!

Scott

injuhneer

Bumping this thread:

So Walt redirected me to the SH775 threads. I see when searching flea-bay for the SH775 that there are Chinese sourced versions for as low as ~$19USD. Are these the same as the others or an aftermarket version?
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

fret not

I have nothing against China or Chinese products but I have experienced lack of clear information regarding Chinese parts.  First, does the ad say it is "series" rather than a shunt type, and is there a warranty?  Too many Chinese products are touted as being better than they are, so you have to read 'between the lines' and ask the seller for specific information to get your answers.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

I also have several thoughts on Chinese products, sometimes they are inconsistent quality,  some good, some bad. Sometimes all bad, sometimes mostly good. It might be worth a try on the r/r, the price is certainly right but you have to decide for yourself and you can let us know what you find out.
An example from another site is a Weeltronic ignition. I don't know the source but it sounded similar to a Zeeltronic but cheaper. A couple of guys tried them and they were junk.
If you try it,  I hope it is good.
Whale oil beef hooked!

injuhneer

Closer inspection of the photos shows smaller heat sink fins rather than the larger fins of the serial regulator.

It might be work $20 to find out but since my spare bike has already had the stator scavenged I am leaning toward the known good solution.

- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

Walt_M.

Just remember that you don't want a used stock Vision stator. I don't know what thread has a stator compatibility list but there is one somewhere. I found it,  look at parts and upgrades
Whale oil beef hooked!

injuhneer

*bump*

I am looking at the SH775 upgrade. I saw the part number for the Triumph harness. The prices is good but estimating 1-2 weeks to ship? Really?

I am thinking about buying a small lot of the Furukawa connectors to make up my own cable. I would have spares left.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ