Tank Modification

Started by artbone, August 19, 2017, 12:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

Several years ago someone on this forum did a lot of modifications to a Vision and one was some "cheeks" on the side of the tank. He did them in fiberglas and left part of the fiberglas unpainted so you could see the gas inside, then painted the whole thing bright red. He posted pictures and I saved them to my photos but now I can't find them.

Does anyone remember that bike and tank and the guys name would also be helpful. If I remember correctly he finished the project, sold it, and moved on to something else not Vision related.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

QBS

I remember the project.  Seemed to have turned out well.  I think the bottom line was that it turned out to look like a stock V tank with what appeared to be, as you said, enhanced "cheeks".  I'm pretty certain, because of the extra width, that it wouldn't work with an '83 fairing.

artbone

Any idea of the builder's ID, the appropriate date, or any clue as to how I could find his posts. I can't remember any details except the tank and the fabrication was first class.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

The Prophet of Doom

Do you mean this one?
http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=8027.0

Many of the pics are gone now as they were on Photobucket :-(

artbone

Yep POD, that's the one. It's a shame the finished product pics are gone but there's enough info there for me to duplicate it. He did a beautiful job. Thank you for remembering it.

I mentioned that I found a powder coater last week. He came by the shop and picked put a frame and 12 other small pieces for a Velocette I'm restoring and the cost is 1400 pesos or about $75 US. And, he told me about a chrome plater in Delores Hedalgo, about 25 miles from me.

I love Mexico!
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

The Prophet of Doom

It's worth PMing him and asking him to re-post pics.  That will send an email to his last known email.
As I recall he was offering his moulds to anyone interested.  You never know, he may still have them.

artbone

I finally found the finished product with the beautiful red paint. I think I will pm him and see if maybe he still has the molds.

I'm on the Isle of Man now so it'll be next week before I do that.

One of the guys staying in the same apt building as us has this beautiful little 1937 250 Panther. I'd love to have one of those.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650