Flywheel woodruff key replacement

Started by DBVision510, July 09, 2020, 11:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBVision510

Anybody out there in Visionland ever had to replace the woodruff key that fits under the flywheel? Yamaha isn't selling the part # specified in the parts diagram, but is there another part # that'll work?

I swapped my motor and the new unit needed a flywheel, but the flywheel that's on the old motor seems to be very stuck. Decided to order a new starter clutch and flywheel, but I'm a little lost on the woodruff key.

injuhneer

That does seem like a part that is likely to have been used on multiple bikes.

How stuck is the other flywheel?
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

fret not

Somewhere in the cobwebs and dust there should be a discussion about removing the flywheel.  I recall the consensus was that you need a BIG hammer.   That approach worked for me.  Regarding the woodruf key, it is a piece of metal.  If nothing else it could be made by refitting a slightly larger one to the keyway.  A diamond stone and some time, but it could be done.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

The Prophet of Doom

I don't have one out to measure, but there are imperial and metric standards for Woodruff keys and it's likely the XZ will conform to the metric ones.
Just measure the width (in metric ! ) and head off to your local Woodruff key shoppe. 

There are only a couple or three dimensions for each width and they are cheap.

MikeScoot

Best bet would be to persist in getting th other on off. The right puller is one half the trick and that big hammer (mentioned above) is the other. Be very careful to do this in a place where you can easily catch the small bits that will fall out when it comes loose.

Otherwise another option would be to check any local engine rebuilding workshops to see whether they have a key, or simply make one. Making one that would ensure correct alignment of the flywheel would not be difficult.
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.