News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Generator Crankcase Cover - Oil plug

Started by legacybrg, October 12, 2017, 09:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

legacybrg

Hi all, I'm scratching my head to understand the following - I want to change my alternator as the one installed is faulty. I have a replacement which has been rewound. I also have a NOS crankcase cover ( bagged and numbered) which came as a spare with the 'bike and which, until now, I have left untouched. So .... I install the alternator, pick ups etc in the new cover, then I attempt to screw the oil plug in. But, the threaded hole for the plug on the new cover is significantly bigger than on the original cover so the plug just sits on top. There is only one part number shown for the plug and all the markings on the inside of the new cover match the old one. I could just reuse the old cover but this seemed a good use of the shiny new cover until this problem. Is there an alternative larger oil plug and/or has anyone heard of or had the same issue?  Many thanks for any advice.     

The Prophet of Doom

XZs came with two different oil filler plugs.  Around 24mm and around 15mm.
Both are common across other bikes.

pinholenz

Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

The Prophet of Doom

I learned the hard way by stupidly giving away the only cover with an oil hole that fitted my fairing oil filler adapter.
Never get rid of anything - you are bound to regret it.

Rikugun

This is a new one to me. I'm guessing mine is the small one. I have oil plug envy now.

Seriously, it would be so much easier to add oil with a larger opening.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

fret not

A trip to a local Yamaha dealer with your old oil plug for comparison might be a good idea.  There are probably not a large range of sizes.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

motoracer8

The smaller fill plug is for a 1983 model. it had a extension because of the faring the 83's came with. The larger fill plug is for the non faring models. 
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British