News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Dyna Coils Question

Started by artbone, November 04, 2017, 05:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artbone

I'm in the process of getting my 83 back together and I've run into a problem. I installed the new Dyna coils and now I don't have fire to the plugs. Here's what I did.

I cut the connectors off the old coils, put female spade type connectors on the ends of the wires, and plugged them into the coils, the red and white wire to the spade with the red dot and the other wire, either orange or, I think, yellow and white, to the other spade. Then, thinking I might have a grounding problem, I ran a ground wire from one coil's mounting screw to the other coil's mounting screw, then a wire to a bolt on the engine.

I'm pretty sure I have everything hooked up right. When I turn on the switch the correct lights light up. When I try to start the bike with the side stand down it won't start. When I try to start it in gear it won't start until I pull in the clutch. But no matter what I do, it doesn't fire the plugs. I've disconnected the plug wires one at a time and put a new plug in and grounded it, hit the starter and nothing.

I disconnected one coil, ran a jumper wire to ground and another wire that I touched to the positive side of the battery and got sparks so I know the coils are good.

I tested the pickup coils and they tested in spec.

Everything points to a bad TCU but the bike was running fine when I parked it six months ago. What would cause the TCU to go bad?

If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate them. I'm running out of Ideas except to buy a new TCU unit that I might not need and, if it's a used unit, how can I be sure it's any good?

Thanks in advance.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

hoverhead47

Have to checked all the pins and wires in the connector plug at the TCU?

fiat-doctor

Two things come to mind...

1. correct Dyna coils?  NOT for CDI I hope

2. When you put the bike back together is it possible that
the plug for the TCI was switched with the one for the
REG/RECTIFIER?  it's easy to do and NOT a good thing

Steve

The Prophet of Doom

Are you getting voltage to the coils?  If you do and they aren't firing I'd suggest incorrect coil resistace.

Try swapping in your old coils to confirm.

artbone

They are 3 ohm coils and I checked them with a meter and they were within spec. I would hook up the old coils but I cut the connectors off to connect the new ones. I suppose I could scab together something just to test it.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

artbone

I think your diagnosis is correct Fiat-doctor. I think I hooked it up wrong and fried it. I found one on ebay for $50 so I pulled the trigger on that a few minutes ago. I was hoping to hear this thing run this weekend but it looks like that is not to be.

I looked at the article about repairing these things but that's beyond me. However, I might be able to find someone down here who can fix it. If the ebay unit works I'll research who might be able to repair the damaged one. They are really good at fixing stuff down here.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

artbone

Yep, used TCI and it fired first time I hit the start button. Didn't crank immediately but after a few minutes fiddling its runs and idles great.
Art Bone

'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650