News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Visioné at Progressive International Motorcycle Show

Started by turbosteve84, December 06, 2017, 10:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turbosteve84

Through dumb luck I was asked to show my Visioné at the New York City Motorcycle Show this past weekend. Mild weather afforded me the pleasure (!!!) of riding the bike into the show. I snuck it in on Thursday before the Teamsters put an end to such behavior (they wanted to push all the bikes in! And they charge by the pound!)

Anyway, I ran into a former Yamaha mechanic who was just shaking his head when he saw my 550. He was remembering all the headaches the Vision caused him and his staff at the time. I pressed him for some info other than what we already know about the bike, but he didn't give me anything new. He just left a little surprised that these things are still on the road.

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

fret not

Steve,
That makes a nice display in the show. 

The thing about the XZ5450 is that a mechanic has to understand how the various systems work, not just change parts.  I think this model showed the difference between the real mechanics and the wannabees. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

auto

QuoteI snuck it in on Thursday before the Teamsters put an end to such behavior (they wanted to push all the bikes in! And they charge by the pound!)
The unions killed the show in Philly.I see the loss of Ducati and Triumph this year in NY. I'm not looking for none union labor to build sky scrapers,but a little give and take sure wouldn't hurt

turbosteve84

That's a shame. The NYC show gets a little smaller every year. The head of the group I was with, the New York Classic Riders, said the Javits Center organizers were thrilled that he was able to bring 18 bikes to the show. They also gave him a very good price on the floor space and hoped he could bring more bikes next year. That tells me that they're having trouble filling the room. I wouldn't mind one bit if Progressive moved the venue across the river to the Meadowlands. Hey, it worked fine for the Giants and Jets!

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

Rikugun

Steve, that is way cool. I wonder how many who saw it knew what they were looking at. I'm sorry I didn't go this year - would have been worth the aggravation just to see a Vision displayed!
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

turbosteve84

Next year we can have a Vision display and blow everyone's mind.

Steve
Steve
saddlebums.tumblr.com

artbone

Steve,

Have you ever considered the "Handbuilt Show" in Austin TX? It's the best show I've ever seen for bikes that are truly one-offs, as your Visione surely is. I plan to get my Isle of Man Vision ready for the show in April 2019 but at the very least I will bring my 83 and try to sneak it in as some sort of one-off. Check out their website. It's a really great show and it's the same weekend as the MotoGP.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650