News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

1982 Vision for restoration or parts

Started by garry, December 21, 2017, 09:28:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry

I'm looking for a home for my 1982 Vision. It was ridden for a few years and 9094 miles, then put away in the garage where it still sits.
It would be nice if someone could use it. I'm located in central NJ, you'd need to pick it up. Price negotiable.

Rikugun

This poor bike has been languishing for some time.  I almost wish it was not in my state.
PM sent.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Walt_M.

I saw those Krauser bags first but they are HUGE. I wonder what they are for?
Whale oil beef hooked!

garry

I used to commute on this bike, so the saddlebags held raingear, briefcase, and sometimes a spare helmet.

fret not

This one would be a nice project for someone of the proper temperament. 8)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Rikugun

I should add that I have no great "need" for this bike so any interested parties should not be discouraged from PM'ing the owner.

My interest is not in a restoration so if there is anyone looking for such a project you might be inclined to offer more for it than I am - which is good for the owner.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Kenny

Hi,
      Are your Krausers 40 litres Stars ?
                                  Thanks Kenny
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

garry

The bike is now gone to a good home. I hope the buyer gets it running again and has years of enjoyment.

Inheritance

Better late than never...

Here's the final product brought back to life. Previous owner said it last ran the year I was born ('87). Low spots in tanks had rusted through but beyond that and fluid changes, this thing has run like a dream. Removed the luggage rack and added a fairing after rattle canning it and the refurbished tank.

Rikugun

Great job, it's always nice to see a Vision resurrected. How did you go about addressing the rusted tank?

Inheritance

Much appreciated. It was rusted through in plenty of spots so those had to be cleaned up. The holes were welded over with small plates of metal then sanded those patches down with a wire brush. There might be one or two pinhole leaks so a success overall.

Rikugun

Do you plan on chemically etching and sealing it at some point?

Inheritance

If the leaks get any worse (and for the amount dribbling out, I'd hardly call them leaks), another inspection might be in order. Right now, I'd like to see it through the season and check valve clearances over the winter. This is my first bike -- I learned on a Vision, too -- so I'd rather wrap my head around the more mechanical stuff.

fiat-doctor

Please keep in mind WHAT is dribbling out....   would like to see both you and your vision on here for some time to come!     

fret not

I wholeheartedly agree with our Fiat Doctor!  Maybe it's only a very small seep of fuel leaking out, jut enough to make a stain over a week or two. but it does mean the metal has been rusted through and other places are very likely thinner than you might think.  "What could possibly go wrong?"  We already take enough chances by riding on two wheels, best not antagonize the "spirits" (chance, luck, karma, etc.) and prevent any disasters BEFORE they happen.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

QBS

Inher., please see my post regarding an excellent '82 tank available for shipping costs.