News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

MotoGp 2018

Started by Walt_M., January 29, 2018, 04:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fret not

Big surprise is Jorge Lorenzo (factory Ducati) won the race!  Marquez(factory Honda) crashed out and rejoined the race to finish just out of the points.(16th)

It seems that Jorge has found the way to ride the Ducati, and now he may actually begin winning again.  He needs to show he can be a winner if he wants a ride next season.  Of course, several other riders need to do that too.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

Good to see Jorge win but he is finished on factory Ducati. Marquez crash was only a minor inconvenience. He has scored zero points in two of the six rounds this year and is still leading by 23 with 13 races to go. Yamaha is still trying to get things figured out. Rossi's talent and experience put him on the podium,  only luck would get him a win.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Rumors and some verification: Well, for next season Pedrosa out at Honda (official announcement) and Lorenzo in(still needs confirmation) .  Well, let's see if he can wield the Honda as a tool or a weapon.  From what I hear it is a rather physically demanding bike to ride.  The Ducati is easier to ride and still the riders complain it too is a physically demanding bike to ride.  It makes ya wonder some. ;)

Walt_M.

Finally, an exciting race. Lots of passing. Looked a little like Moto3 there for a while.
Whale oil beef hooked!

iain

That's the best race yet....

Iain
NZ

fret not

Sunday is the British round of the world championship motorcycle racing (MotoGP) at the Silverstone track.  The riders are complaining of the bumpy track, caused by the F1 cars.  Also it looks like rain Sunday at Silverstone.  Jorge Lorenzo has made a boast that he can win the championship this year, that Ducati can win all the remaining races.  That will be a huge job IF he can even get close.  The Ducati is working well for Jorge, and mathematically it is POSSIBLE, but he would have to beat Marc Marquez every race.   

fret not

Water Water Everywhere!  Hydroplaning and crashes!  Rained out the British round of MotoGP (all races).  It seems the recent resurfacing of the track might have been partly the reason so much water collected in critical braking zones and on the straight.  Just wait til next time!

Walt_M.

Too bad they had cancel but you can't race motorcycles in ankle deep water.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

I suppose that to cancel a race creates a financial strain on the promoter and the track.  I know it takes a lot to get all the "boxes" delivered and put in place, but there are many other aspects to consider too.  Like the food and other vendors, all the track personnel, and of course the fans attending the race.  Then everyone has to go home with no race.

fret not

Another win by Marquez, and Suzuki showing well(3rd. & 4th).  Lorenzo crashed before finishing the first lap.  It seriously looks to be Marquez heading for the championship again with the advantage of 72 points ahead of  Andrea Dovisioso, the nearest rival.  Five races yet to be run. (Thailand, Japan, Australia, Malaysia, and finally Spain).

fret not

The stage is set, now we are just waiting to hear who comes out on top. Marc Marquez has pole position and another Tissot watch (award for pole position at each MotoGP).  It was reported this is his 50th Tissot earned in GP.  That's a lot of pole positions!  That makes me wonder how many Valentino Rossi has from his 9 championships.

Marquez messed up a bit in the qualifying laps of practice and had to go through Q1 in order to get into Q2, the 'real' round that sets the grid positions.  The top 10 fastest guys automatically get into Q2 without having to go through Q1, and Marc is so far the only one ever to achieve pole position from Q1.  Not fast enough in practice to get into Q2, yet somehow fast enough to beat everyone else. 

fret not

Next to the final race is happening in the Sepang International Circuit in Malaysia, and it looks like the Yamaha bikes have found the missing mojo that has plagued them for most of this season.  Vinales just won at Philip Island, and is looking very good at the Malaysia round.  We will know very soon as the Moto3 race has already been run.  Oh, the jet lag!

Marquez qualified fastest (pole position) but was penalized 3 grid positions for apparently causing another rider to not do so well on his 'fast lap' for qualifying.  The fast riders will be there at the finish line.

Hey Walt, are you out there?

Walt_M.

Yes, I am still here but the season has been so disastrous for Yamaha that, combined with the loss of TV coverage, I have somewhat lost interest. I was beginning to think Suzuki would win before Yamaha. 
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Yeah, the Yamahas have had a difficult time but now look like they are getting it together.  Rossi had been leading the race for a long time when he fell, and Vinales worked himself up through the pack to finish 4th, right behind Zarco on a satellite Yamaha (Tech3).

Walt_M.

Rossi said he didn't know why he crashed but he may have been thinking about adding another win to his total that Marquez would have to beat.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

The final race of the 2018 season will take place this weekend in Valencia, Spain.  Most of the excitement is already worn off as the championship was decided a few races ago, but there will be testing on the following Monday of the new machines for the 2019 season.  Oh yeah, there will be the race too on Sunday.  So one season begins as the previous one fades into history.

Walt_M.

Have not seen much about the race or qualifying yet, other than that it is expected to be wet and Lorenzo will race. His last for Ducati. I  guess he will test the Honda on Monday?
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

I hope Lorenzo can do well on the Honda next season.  I think we will see some competition between Jorge and Marc, and I hope it doesn't go sour.  Who will go quicker? 8)

Walt_M.

Yes,  Lorenzo to Honda should be interesting. Stoner got off a very different Ducati for Honda and won so I don't see a problem for Lorenzo,  except for Mr Marquez! Lorenzo has never been much of a team player and I doubt he will change. Could be good fun. There will still be some good competition. Yamaha seem to finally be back in the mix and Suzuki is right in there.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

I would like to see Suzuki do well, they seem to have sufficient engineering depth, and with luck they will have good riders that can put them on the podium more frequently. There seems to me some obstacle in communication/understanding between riders and the "factory" which means more frequent rider turn over.  Ducati too, but I guess this is pretty universal among the teams.