Creative use for auto trans leak stop

Started by QBS, December 02, 2017, 08:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Got to thinking about Artbones' leaking petcock seal and my suggestion to soak it in auto trans or power steering stop leak product.  Then the thought crossed my mind that such an approach might work to fix leaking carb butterfly seals without having to disassemble the butterflys'.  Soak the carb bodys in the stop leak product or maybe brake fluid for several days and see what happens.  Protect or remove rubber parts that are not needing to be swollen.  Might help stop float bowl needle valves from leaking due to hardened O ring seals.  Comments, thoughts?

The Prophet of Doom

It may work.  Can't see it would do any harm, but why not just replace the butterfly seals?
It is not all that difficult - just follow pinholenz's excellent video, and the parts are just a few dollars - about the same cost as a bottle of ATF

Rikugun

Quote from: ProphetOfDoom on December 03, 2017, 02:36:50 AM
It is not all that difficult - just follow pinholenz's excellent video, and the parts are just a few dollars
The notion of "difficult", like most things, is highly subjective. There is ample opportunity to do some damage during disassembly and re-assembly if one is not particularly careful or skillful.  If one were not confident in their abilities, it may make sense to try it first. If unsuccessful, you always have the option to escalate your efforts and move to the more invasive procedure of seal replacement.

Having said that, I'm of the thinking it may be a stop gap measure but would be very interested in learning the results if someone does try the fix.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Kenny

Comment 0101
   I think you need to put an old seal in some oil before any conclusion about swelling can be reached as these seals have a different composition than regular rubber seals.
    Cheers Ken S.
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

QBS

Appreciate the thoughts.  Riks' view suits me best.  The reason the concept appeals to me is that I am really paranoid that I might get in over my head.  Especially on a repair that leaves little room for a learning curve.  Never the less, Kennys' observation is quite possibly right on, which puts the situation back to square one.