Carburetor Adaptor Kits

Started by Ron_McCoy, July 20, 2018, 12:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron_McCoy

Is anyone interested in a kit to install FZR 600 carburetors on XZ 550s? These would be a complete kit with carb adaptors, spacers, and cable attachments, using the stock throttle and choke cables. The only fabrication required would be the attachment of the throttle shat extension which will be provided and a small throttle drum modification. I'm trying to gauge interest to figure out how many sets to build to start with. They will come with instructions and jetting information. Tried to post pictures of adaptors but they wouldn't load.

The Prophet of Doom

I could be easily persuaded.  My bike has a lot of mods - one more wouldn't do any harm at all.
Any idea on price or timeframes?

Walt_M.

That is an excellent idea. I have the carbs on my bike and am really happy with the way it starts and runs but my fabrication skills are limited and I am sure it could be better. Plus one on the kit, without carbs.
Whale oil beef hooked!

cobol74

Ron_McCoy

We're working on the first couple of sets now. When we finish them we'll see what we have in materials and labor so we can set a price. We won't be supplying carburetors, just the kit to install them.  Carbs are easy to get from eBay. More information coming. Looks like we could sell some of these. These carburetors reall improve performance and throttle response.

QBS

Does anybody have a rough idea of what the carbs are running or have run on ebay?

fret not

A quick look shows they can range from $70 to $400.  I would expect to find some nice ones for about $120 or so.  YOU have to be selective and find nice ones at a good price, and this can take time,, . . . . . . kinda like fishing.  Usually the lower the price is the dirtier the parts are. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

The important thing to look for is good diaphragms. A couple of new ones would cost more than the carbs.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rikugun

Remind what the air filtration scheme would be with the FZR carbs?
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

Walt_M.

I am using the stock airbox and a Unifilter, all flapper parts removed.
Whale oil beef hooked!

QBS

Can any of the carbs be used or are there specific locations that must be used?  Where I'm going: would it be possible to recarb 2 Vs from one set of FZ carbs?

Walt_M.

I used the left carb for the front cylinder and the third for the rear as it has the throttle bellcrank but I don't know what Ron is planning for his kit. I did a fairly extensive write up in the tech section a while back. Look for fzr600 carb conversion.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

QBS, yes, it is possible, BUT, you will need to fabricate some other parts.  These carbs come with ONE bell crank for the throttle cables, and ONE cable holder (you would need two for two bikes) but nothing preventing using the other two carbs other than making them "work" (throttle control, choke , etc.).

artbone

What is the size difference in the FZ carbs and the XZ? I've got the carbs on my 83 dialed in (finally) and they work very well. I'm about to start on my 82 and just wonder if there would be that much difference. Whatever, I would probably still be interested in purchasing a kit if the price was right.
Art Bone

'83 Yamaha Vision in the Classic Black and Gold  Running
'82 Yamaha Vision Running
'74 Norton Fastback - Colorado Norton Works #26  Running
'73 Norton Interstate  Running
'75 Triumph T 160  Running
'62 Harley Davidson Vintage Racer
'61 Sears Puch  Running
'15 Triumph Scrambler
'17 Honda Africa Twin
94 Kawasaki KLR 650

fret not

According to the "Motorcycle Specifications" website the FZR 600 model began in 1986 with 30mm carbs and ended with 34mm carbs in 1996.

X-Vision

Kenny

Hi Ron,
    I may be a little late on asking ,but are you still producing these kits ?  If so I would be interested in two kits. Could you give me the cost ?
       Thanks Ken Stuart
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

allstateguy

I am also interested in the kit and it's cost. I'm kinda stalled on my Venture carb swap

trialattorney

Just got my 82 back running; would be interested in 2 sets; now working on restoring my 83.
Missed riding my Vision; looking for tires now; still have carb sync issue but at least it is running...
Les

Ron_McCoy

Still working on the carb kits. Found that there are at least two versions of FZR carbs. Hopefully we wil have kits ready soon.