LED headlight anyone?

Started by Rikugun, August 14, 2018, 07:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikugun

Has anyone else investigated replacing the H4 bulb with an LED replacement?  I just installed one last night but did not go for a ride (in the rain) to test the performance. In the garage it seems brighter. If nothing else, It's a brilliant white light in contrast to the halogen's almost yellowish output.

The big news - and the main reason I went this route - is amperage savings.  I needed the electrical power for something else I changed.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

George R. Young

I bought one on eBay that was supposed to be 45 watts. The vendor send me one which is actually 18 watts, and I got a refund.

I installed it anyway (on a Concours), it's whiter light but not very bright. I'll probably go back to an 80/100W halogen.

What wattage is yours?

Rikugun

Quote from: George R. Young on August 14, 2018, 09:09:45 AM
What wattage is yours?

That's a good question. This was an Ebay purchase as well and the ads are all over the place with claims. They seem more interested in color temperature (6000K on this one BTW) than amp draw or wattage. The product description claims 147000 LM and 980 watt - I'm guessing the latter is a conventional bulb equivalent guestimate. Interestingly the description claims it's CREE and a COB although my understanding is these are two different technologies? Maybe they're just keywords to catch searches. Oh E-bay, you're often so sketchy. And by "E-bay" I of course mean the sellers.

It does claim it is DOT compliant unlike that 80/100 halogen you were/will be running. I'll bet that is pretty bright!
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan