News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

XJ 900 Rear Wheel

Started by Dean, December 24, 2018, 05:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean

Has anyone fitted an early xj900 rear wheel to a xz?
You do not need a therapist if you own a motorcycle, any kind of motorcycle! Dan Aykroyd

fret not

As I seem to recall there has been some discussion regarding the various styles of splines for the rear wheel, and I think POD was in the middle of it.  Your remedy might be closer than you think.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

jefferson

I think the couplers are the same, but you could compare part numbers for the spined couplers to tell. That would be the deal breaker in my book. Didn't the 900 Seca have ventilated rotors on the front and rear or just the front? Those would be heavy, but knowing Yamaha there would be something else that would bolt up.

injuhneer

It is a direct fit. The splines should be the same.

I  have mounted XJ900 wheels on a Seca Turbo with a custom R6 rear caliper install.

Same axle as the Vision and XJ900.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

Dean

Thought there may be interest in the result...
You do not need a therapist if you own a motorcycle, any kind of motorcycle! Dan Aykroyd

fret not

Man, that is gorgeous!  It reminds me of my TR2 from back in the day.  Had those same decals and that red and white paint scheme.

injuhneer

- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

Dean

Appreciate the compliment...the yellow speed block color scheme is iconic but I like the white also. Definitely easier to fix blemishes  ;)

fret not

The red/white livery was as issued from the factory, then came along "King Kenny" Roberts with the yellow and black motif.  I prefer the white  too but I had my bike painted Daytona Orange.

injuhneer

Quote from: fret not on July 06, 2019, 12:30:22 AM
The red/white livery was as issued from the factory, then came along "King Kenny" Roberts with the yellow and black motif.  I prefer the white  too but I had my bike painted Daytona Orange.

I once owned a Seca Turbo that I repainted in the yel/blk/speed block motif. I liked the result.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

Chris Duncan

Quote from: Dean on July 04, 2019, 08:07:22 PM
Thought there may be interest in the result...

does anyone know what bike this rotor is from?

Walt_M.

That looks a lot like the disk on my RZ350 and the caliper is similar too.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

There used to be a feature on the Ron Ayers site that you could look up a part number and find where it was used.  Sometimes a part is used on many other models.  I would check out discs from the Virago  models of near the same period. 

Dean

The rotor is RZ350 and the caliper is from a Seca II

fret not

Dean, what size tires are you using, and rim widths?

Chris Duncan

Quote from: fret not on September 14, 2019, 02:48:02 AM
Dean, what size tires are you using, and rim widths?

the XJ900 wheels are
2.15 x 18 front,
2.75 x 18 rear

compared to the stock Vision wheels at
1.85 x 18 front
2.15 x 18 rear

from Dean's pic it looks like a  120/80-18 rear tire? I'm going to try a 150/70-18, it's going to be close to the swingarm. And a 130/70-18 in the front.

I got the XJ900 wheels from a bike salvage. The front has about .10" more caliper clearance because the spokes are narrower than the stock wheel. So the R6-R1 blue spot  calipers have about .170" clearance.

fret not