News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Double Vision

Started by Inheritance, April 19, 2019, 11:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inheritance

Winter merger of $100 barn find (through this site, actually) and '82 survivor just about wrapped up. Between the two, we were able to combine a 10k-mile motor, rust-free tank, '83 double disc brakes, shock and "shark" fairing among other new odds and ends. Factory mod to increase oil flow in stator cover should hopefully be helpful. Motor was sandblasted and fresh BMW "hennarot" paint on everything else. All in all, an immensely educational experience. We'll be at the Gathering of the Nortons in Washington Crossing, Pa. on 4/28 for those in the tri-state East Coast region.

cvincer

Congratulations on a good job in bringing a Vision back to life, Norton owners....eat your hearts out.

What was the  'Factory Mod'  to increase oil flow to the stator?

Trust you moved the regulator/rectifier from its OEM position behind the rear cylinder/over the exhaust, to somewhere it can get cool air.

Walt_M.

Wow, that is impressive. Was the barn find an '83? The black chrome exhaust is pretty much a unicorn. How hard would it be to get photos and dimensions on the shark fairing mount? P-O-D has been looking for one. Anyway, good job.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Inheritance

Thanks, guys. The factory mod was using part of a kit for early Ventures, which is the "drilled crankshaft bolt" discussed here: http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=5001.0

Some lathe work to the rotor was required but it looks like the stator cover is getting good and flooded with oil. The Mosfet reg/rec re-positioning is definitely a future consideration. We also spliced in a voltmeter to check the charging system because the night the first one fried was not a fun one.

Both bikes are '82s but the first one (dad's) was upgraded over the years (chrome'd exhaust, shock, brakes) while mine sat in the previous owner's shed since '87. As for the fairing mount, give me a week or two and I'll post some pics on here.

I've also been back and forth with Practical Sportsbikes magazine (a U.K. publication) and they might run a blurb once I get some quality photos over. Their staff had nothing nice to say about the Vision so here's hoping we make a couple converts out of 'em.

injuhneer

I have some thoughts on this stator cooling issue. I read through the thread referenced above. It was an interesting read. The subject is quite old. I wasn't sure if it is OK to post some thoughts there or start a new thread.

And BTW Inheritance, I think your bike looks good.

-Mike O.
injuhneer
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

ArrrGeee

Post away, anyone monitoring these forums are open to new ideas.

one thing I've found is the vision is not unique to failed stators, many many motorcycles have the
same setup and fail at about the same rate, search around and you'll find it to be true.

a modern regulator along with keeping your battery and connections is good condition will improve the
lifespan of these things.