more carb conversion

Started by ArrrGeee, May 31, 2019, 08:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArrrGeee

now that this has become an important topic around here,
has anyone looked at the vstar 650 carbs ?

fret not

After checking out the MOTORCYCLE SPECIFICATIONS website it shows that the XVS 650 (V Star) has 28mm carbs but the Virago 535 has 34mm carbs.  Both motors are based on the same design and use down draft type carbs.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

I based my carb selection on availability, price and size.
Whale oil beef hooked!

ArrrGeee

thanks guys, that is helpful, I know a lot of work has gone
into these conversions. 
I gave up tinkering on the vision last year and rode the honda all season
but I missed riding her for sure.

-R

fret not

Long time for this thread, but I thought this might be of interest to someone at some time.  I have the Kehin carbs frin a YZF600R Thunder Cat.  These carbs have nice long ram air trumpets which is one reason I chose them.  I picked up a Haynes manual for the YZF600R and FZS600 Fazer to help 'understand' these carbs, and it has some interesting information but not everything I was hoping for.  One thing is that these are expensive carbs, so they were replaced with less expensive models when the Fazer (FZS600) was developed.  The motors are basically from the same design but the reported specs show the YZF with more low end grunt and not losing anything on the top end. Anyway, these looked cool to me so I got them.  I have checked from time to time for availability but seldom see YZF600R carbs.  I got lucky I guess.
I have made the necessary mods to connect throttle and choke, they work nicely, now I need to make a loop in the cooling system to supply hot coolant to the carbs.  This is a stock feature on the YZF600 carbs to prevent icing.  I am not sure it is necessary for my intended use but since it is part of the design I figured it can't hurt to hook it up.  Just another item to check off the list that needs to be done before I buy a battery.  I hope I get to ride this thing before I can't.  No specific issue but at 78 next month I can see my time is shorter.  Time to get 'er done. :police:

jefferson

If you aren't in a cold climate with higher humidity I kind of doubt the carb heat would be necessary. I have bypassed it on 2 4 wheeled vehicles with nothing noticed. There are a far greater number of motorcycles on the road without that feature and they will be getting heat pouring over them from the radiator anyway. I would do without if it was me.

fret not

Most likely I will try without the heater circuit first.  If no issues arise I probably will leave it that way.  Now to plumb the fuel system (adding electric fuel pump), and make room for the remote reservoir for the 'new' rear shock, move the coolant recovery bottle, mount the fairing, finish rebuilding the front caliper and hook that system together.  Then mount the front fender on the new forks. 
All this doesn't seem to be such a huge obstacle to overcome, so it SHOULD be completed comfortably within a month, right?  Well, there are  still uprooted oak trees from last December, and fire season is here NOW!  So the drying fuel on the ground gets the attention, at least until we get a couple inches of rain or I make the uprooted trees go away.  So I get enough exercise to keep me fit cutting and dragging the 'brush' to where it can be chipped, cutting and stacking the wood, and maintaining my chainsaw and putt-putt (riding mower w/trailer). 

jefferson

There's alway something getting in the way of progress.

fret not

Yes, and as John Lennon said,"While you are making other plans, Life happens".  I find it truly amazing that we are here on this little garden planet, inhabiting our fragile human bodies, and experiencing "the human condition".  With all the various radiations blasting everything sterile, it is a significant point to ponder that there is Life in this universe, and yet, we are here.  As Carl Sagan put it,  to be conscious and aware "we are the eyes of the universe, looking back upon itself".  We are recycled star stuff with the miracle of Life.  All this allows me to appreciate motorcycles and weather, and so much more.
Maybe I can have more time in the shop to complete my XZ550 project as I really would like to ride it before I age out.  My KLR is tall, top heavy, and sort of a slug, but it is fairly dependable, and it is what I have.