News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

New to Me 1983 XZ550RK

Started by kevin g, May 31, 2019, 08:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin g

I have recently acquired a 1983 Vision and can't wait to get it back on the road.  It has not run in at least a dozen years and I think it is because the front cylinder cam timing was wrong, both intake and exhaust opening at the same time.

I look forward to taking advantage of the knowledge from this sight.

fret not

I think you can use a shop manual.  Take notice of Prophet of Doom's postings and you will see links to many very helpful publications, shop manual among them.  (free to download)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

Welcome to the forum Kevin. Do you know any of the bike's history?  Mileage, has the engine ever been apart? Front cylinder not firing is a common problem and is usually caused by a malfunctioning rev limiter. You do need a service manual and many questions can be answered here.  Good luck.
Whale oil beef hooked!

kevin g

I do not know the history of the bike very well.  The mileage is 13.4k which is pretty low.  I have already downloaded a lot of good stuff from this site and been pouring over it.  I bought the Haynes manual as well.

I don't think the engine has been apart and besides dirt from sitting around for over a decade it is in pretty good condition, the wheels look fantastic.  The exhaust would be just about perfect if not for one ding on the right muffler which is a bummer.

When I opened the carburetors they were not too bad but I had to get crude out of all of the small orifices.  Once I get a rebuild kit to freshen up the rubber bits I think they will be fine.

Walt_M.

With that mileage and the engine never having been apart, it is unlikely that the cam timing is off. If the black chrome exhaust is as good as you say, it might be worth more than the whole bike!
Whale oil beef hooked!

jefferson

To help ascertain if the timing is off, get a socket and wrench and turn the engine over slowly from the stator side. Take is slow and easy so if the valves do strike something you don't bend them. If you feel solid resistance you need to stop applying pressure. If it rotates fine for a couple of revolutions you should be good. If the chain tensioner was taken out for some reason then there is a good chance the cams have jumped. Good luck. It sounds like you got a nice one.

kevin g

I have already verified that the cam timing was off and have set it back to where it should be.  The exhaust cam was correct and the intake was off.  The lucky thing is that both cams were opening at the same time so I don't think there was any collision of valves and pistons.

fret not

Have you done a compression test?  If a valve is bent you will get very little or no compression.  Possibly the cams were installed incorrectly, but possibly the cam chain jumped some teeth on the cam sprocket.  So check for compression.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

motoracer8

Both intake and exhaust will be open will be open at overlap. Be sure and check the cam timing before you tear things apart. At TDC small dots on the cams will align with pointers on the upper cam bearings.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British