Author Topic: Joining the ranks of the afflicted...  (Read 588 times)

injuhneer

• ROV Full Member
  • Mike O. - SE AZ, USA
    • OOTFAB
Joining the ranks of the afflicted...
« on: June 27, 2019, 08:55:32 AM »
Hello All,

My name is Mike. I live in SE Arizona. I have recently acquired a pair (one running, one parts) of '82 Visions.

The back story is that these were father/son motorcycles. It also appears that Dad did a much better job of maintaining his Vision than the son did. The son's bike is the parts machine. It is complete enough that it may be possible to put it back on the road of make a custom out of it.

First however the better of the two will receive thorough service and new tires to put it on the road.

Regards,
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 11:53:21 PM by injuhneer »
- Mike O
injuhneer
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

fret not

• Contributing Member
  • Visionary Expert
  • Mike Lewis - Grass Valley CA
    • Michael Lewis Instruments
Re: Joinging the ranks of the afflicted...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 04:58:02 PM »
Hi Mike, and welcome to the 'affliction'.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

injuhneer

• ROV Full Member
  • Mike O. - SE AZ, USA
    • OOTFAB
Re: Joinging the ranks of the afflicted...
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 11:52:39 PM »
Thank you.

I have been reading a number of posts regarding some common issues. Some of them are quite old. I asked in one about posting to old threads but hadn't received any guidance.

In particular I have been reading the posts on stability and handling as well as those concerning the stator. I am new to this model of Yamaha so I hope I can contribute.

Priors include Seca 550, multiple Seca Turbos, XS 650, XT600, TT600, VMax. Also a smattering of Kawasakis, KTM and Hondas.
- Mike O
injuhneer
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

Walt_M.

• Contributing Member
  • Visionary Expert
  • Hold my beer and watch this!
Re: Joining the ranks of the afflicted...
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 07:50:13 AM »
Welcome to the dwindling band. New ideas are appreciated but some old things must be addressed. Starter seals, stator and R/R, rear brake stay bolts and starter clutch come to mind.
As for handling, IMHO, the best thing I've done for mine is Continental Classic Attack radials,  90/90 front, 120/90 rear.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 07:58:34 AM by Walt_M. »
Whale oil beef hooked!

injuhneer

• ROV Full Member
  • Mike O. - SE AZ, USA
    • OOTFAB
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 09:53:13 AM »
Thanks Walt.

I suppose then I will add to the threads that exist rather than re-inventing the topics.

Also in response to the Newbie post I added my location to the signature block. I couldn't get the map in the forum interface to cooperate.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 09:58:40 AM by injuhneer »
- Mike O
injuhneer
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

injuhneer

• ROV Full Member
  • Mike O. - SE AZ, USA
    • OOTFAB
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 03:00:57 PM »
SNIP

As for handling, IMHO, the best thing I've done for mine is Continental Classic Attack radials,  90/90 front, 120/90 rear.

I have been unable to find a reference to rotating/reversing the fork lowers. Putting the axle in front of the tube centerline to change trail is OEM on some bikes. I am wondering if someone has done that before.

- Mike O
injuhneer
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

jefferson

• Contributing Member
  • ROV Senior Member
  • Keep them Rollin
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 06:28:19 PM »
My suggestion would be a fork brace and putting larger bolts through the bolt in frame piece on the right. It's well worth the trouble and not too hard. Better shock, but then you're talking some bucks.

Walt_M.

• Contributing Member
  • Visionary Expert
  • Hold my beer and watch this!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 06:55:51 PM »
Please don't reverse the forks. Although it might look more pleasing,  it is a drastic reduction in trail and will cause serious stability problems.
Whale oil beef hooked!

injuhneer

• ROV Full Member
  • Mike O. - SE AZ, USA
    • OOTFAB
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 08:24:17 PM »
Please don't reverse the forks. Although it might look more pleasing,  it is a drastic reduction in trail and will cause serious stability problems.

I wasn't really interested in the aesthetic at this point. And I am sure this topic has been beat to death but must have missed the maths in perusing the topic.

- Mike O
injuhneer
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

fret not

• Contributing Member
  • Visionary Expert
  • Mike Lewis - Grass Valley CA
    • Michael Lewis Instruments
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 12:02:26 AM »
There is a general guide line that says the trail needs to be 'about' 4 inches, plus or minus.  Most modern street motorcycles seem to fit into that range of trail.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

injuhneer

• ROV Full Member
  • Mike O. - SE AZ, USA
    • OOTFAB
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 12:55:47 AM »
Next item: the starter seal.

the 20x35x6 seal fix seems to be the norm. A real improvement would be to use a Viton seal of the same dimensions. It would last much longer than the nitrile seal.
- Mike O
injuhneer
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

Prophet Of Doom

• Contributing Member
  • Visionary Grand Master
  • The really perverted one amongst us
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 02:28:49 AM »
I have fork seals from pyramid-parts.com that have lasted over 10 years.  They are relatively inexpensive, but no idea what they are made of.

injuhneer

• ROV Full Member
  • Mike O. - SE AZ, USA
    • OOTFAB
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2019, 10:19:49 AM »
I have fork seals from pyramid-parts.com that have lasted over 10 years.  They are relatively inexpensive, but no idea what they are made of.

A lot of seals are typically nitrile (Buna N). The have decent longevity. The seal on the starter is exposed to higher temperatures and constant crankcase pulsations. So the nitrile seal is flexed constantly (wear and fatigue) and cooked (heat cycling). Viton is a lot tougher and would be a good choice for the starter seal.

Most high duty cycle seals are Viton or EPDM these days.

HTH.
- Mike O
injuhneer
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

injuhneer

• ROV Full Member
  • Mike O. - SE AZ, USA
    • OOTFAB
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 07:34:21 AM »
My suggestion would be a fork brace and putting larger bolts through the bolt in frame piece on the right. It's well worth the trouble and not too hard. Better shock, but then you're talking some bucks.

I am finishing up with a carb clean/rebuild. Once it is running I'll change the tires and take it for a spin. I have been reading the threads on the various rear shockl swaps as well.
- Mike O
injuhneer
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ