News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Frankenmotor

Started by Walt_M., August 18, 2019, 04:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt_M.

As some of you long timers know, I have an RZ350. Also, I have been thinking about building an RZ engine. So,  after several years of accumulating parts, the engine is under way. It isn't really photo worthy yet but I can provide some history. I got a good set of Banshee cases for $100 on Ebay. $200 for an RZ transmission, got a good pair of 1UA cylinders (later model 63 hp) including power valves for another $200. So I am in for $500 and well on the way?  Au contaire. I needed a crankshaft $330 and a head, another $170 with a poor powder coat that I have mostly removed. There are a host of other parts I have on order and otherwise but it is something on my list. My plan is to put the engine in a YZF R3 chassis or something else but I will try to keep this going. I already realize the cost of this build will be more than the end result but, like the Vision, you won't see one every day.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

I got some pics, let me see if they are  too big. dang, too big. ok, resized and got one.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

Whale oil beef hooked!

The Prophet of Doom

Nice! I had a RZ350 back in the day.  Spent most of the time on one wheel and decided I was either going to kill myself or someone else so swapped it for a V

fret not

Walt, how much HP is that supposed to produce?  It looks like significant volume of the transfer ports, so I would guess it makes upward of 50HP.  In 1971 I had a TR2 (air cooled 350 racer) that put out 55HP according to the owner's manual.  Good for 155mph at red line with 16/32 gearing.  I would think that water cooling would allow a bit more HP to be developed from your RZ.  What exhaust system are you using?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

The 1UA cylinders were rated 63hp stock. With the 28mm flat slides and pipes it could be  closer to 70.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Yeah, THAT will 'get you down the road'.  That's some serious power from a 350.  Are you going to do some track days? 8)

Walt_M.

I'm still not sure what I am going to do with this when I finish it. I have been trying to decide on a suitable chassis and have sort of arrived at the yzf r3. They are pretty nice little bikes though quite underpowered. A drawback is they use the engine as a stressed member of the frame and the RZ engine is rubber mounted. Still thinking. As for pipes, there are quite a few options. The Spec IIs I have now do pretty good. I don't know what state of tune it is, the previous owner bought it for track use as it is and the tires showed that it went pretty good. I put stock Bridgestones, lights and turn signals on it and put it back on the street. It is quick and doesn't blubber so I have pretty much left it alone, just put 4 piston front brakes and needle bearing swingarm. It already had a Works Performance shock. I might just wait and see how long my present engine lasts. 
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

Just rode the RZ again today, last ride was New Year's day. This year has had an aura of suckage but my ride today marks a change for me. I had prostate cancer last year and had removal surgery. This was a fairly major point in my life and my recovery has had a very steep curve. I have been off the adult diapers for a bit over 2 months but I still need a pad occasionally. Today I did without one and enjoyed the ride. Now I have to ask myself if I want to get the Vision going again or just enjoy the RZ? RZ-1, Vision-0. I tried to start it last week and the battery was less that 10 volts.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

Walt, I'm glad you got out for a bit of a ride, which means you are mending.  At our age we don't bounce back like we did in our younger days, so give it some more time and go riding when you can.  In the mean time I enjoy your participation here, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

MikeScoot

Great to hear about the nice ride and, better still, the good recovery. Some pics of the bikes concerned would be great.
(I just noticed the 'Attachments and other options' button, so will post some too.)

Happy riding in all this suckage! lololol
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

fret not

Walt, did you have the crank rebuilt or buy a used one?  The old fellow that used to rebuild cranks for me cautioned me about handling them very gently to avoid ANY impacts or bumps when the crank is out of the cases because it can easily be knocked out of alignment, which would cause vibration and excessive wear of the bearings.  Those cranks are pressed together, and when their alignment is not firmly supported by the cases they are fragile.  You probably know this already, but just sayin' because it is so much easier to prevent damage than to repair it.

Walt_M.

I bought a new one. We got lucky when Yamaha came out with the Banshee 4 wheeler. A lot of the engine parts are the same and available new from Yamaha.
Whale oil beef hooked!