Author Topic: Frankenmotor  (Read 260 times)

Walt_M.

• Contributing Member
  • Visionary Expert
  • Hold my beer and watch this!
Frankenmotor
« on: August 18, 2019, 04:36:21 PM »
As some of you long timers know, I have an RZ350. Also, I have been thinking about building an RZ engine. So,  after several years of accumulating parts, the engine is under way. It isn't really photo worthy yet but I can provide some history. I got a good set of Banshee cases for $100 on Ebay. $200 for an RZ transmission, got a good pair of 1UA cylinders (later model 63 hp) including power valves for another $200. So I am in for $500 and well on the way?  Au contaire. I needed a crankshaft $330 and a head, another $170 with a poor powder coat that I have mostly removed. There are a host of other parts I have on order and otherwise but it is something on my list. My plan is to put the engine in a YZF R3 chassis or something else but I will try to keep this going. I already realize the cost of this build will be more than the end result but, like the Vision, you won't see one every day.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

• Contributing Member
  • Visionary Expert
Re: Frankenmotor
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 06:43:13 PM »
I got some pics, let me see if they are  too big. dang, too big. ok, resized and got one.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 07:00:06 PM by Walt_M. »
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

• Contributing Member
  • Visionary Expert
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 07:02:15 PM »
added a couple more.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Walt_M.

• Contributing Member
  • Visionary Expert
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 07:03:49 PM »
one  more
Whale oil beef hooked!

Prophet Of Doom

• Contributing Member
  • Visionary Grand Master
  • The really perverted one amongst us
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 05:12:19 AM »
Nice! I had a RZ350 back in the day.  Spent most of the time on one wheel and decided I was either going to kill myself or someone else so swapped it for a V

fret not

• Contributing Member
  • Visionary Expert
  • Mike Lewis - Grass Valley CA
    • Michael Lewis Instruments
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 02:58:25 PM »
Walt, how much HP is that supposed to produce?  It looks like significant volume of the transfer ports, so I would guess it makes upward of 50HP.  In 1971 I had a TR2 (air cooled 350 racer) that put out 55HP according to the owner's manual.  Good for 155mph at red line with 16/32 gearing.  I would think that water cooling would allow a bit more HP to be developed from your RZ.  What exhaust system are you using?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

• Contributing Member
  • Visionary Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 07:05:52 PM »
The 1UA cylinders were rated 63hp stock. With the 28mm flat slides and pipes it could be  closer to 70.
Whale oil beef hooked!

fret not

• Contributing Member
  • Visionary Expert
  • Mike Lewis - Grass Valley CA
    • Michael Lewis Instruments
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 02:38:05 AM »
Yeah, THAT will 'get you down the road'.  That's some serious power from a 350.  Are you going to do some track days? 8)
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

• Contributing Member
  • Visionary Expert
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 08:14:24 AM »
I'm still not sure what I am going to do with this when I finish it. I have been trying to decide on a suitable chassis and have sort of arrived at the yzf r3. They are pretty nice little bikes though quite underpowered. A drawback is they use the engine as a stressed member of the frame and the RZ engine is rubber mounted. Still thinking. As for pipes, there are quite a few options. The Spec IIs I have now do pretty good. I don't know what state of tune it is, the previous owner bought it for track use as it is and the tires showed that it went pretty good. I put stock Bridgestones, lights and turn signals on it and put it back on the street. It is quick and doesn't blubber so I have pretty much left it alone, just put 4 piston front brakes and needle bearing swingarm. It already had a Works Performance shock. I might just wait and see how long my present engine lasts. 
Whale oil beef hooked!