News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Electric Wonders, Part 1

Started by WGuaire, September 19, 2019, 01:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGuaire

This bulb out to be in a museum. There was a caution about these bulbs in a forum post. I found out about this bulb at night. Dim, not aimed well.
  I did clean up the reflector and the adjusters. I have a regular H4 in there now. I'll see how that looks when I can get out at night.
  My plan is to make this bike more touring oriented. It will need a better reg/rectifier and a solution for the weak fuse box. Any one have suggestions on the fuse box situation?
  Also, considering some LED driving lights up front, once the fuse box and reg/rect. are fixed up. Any wiring plug in suggestions on the driving light LEDs?
Bill

Walt_M.

Ah, you found and exorcized that little fugitive from the Lucas era. That was probably my first modification but I think it's still in a drawer somewhere.
Whale oil beef hooked!

kevin g

I replaced my fuse block with the Little Fuse FH2.  These are individual fuse holders that can be connected together.  I put five of them side-by-side in the same space as the original.  Here is a link: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/littelfuse-inc/178.6105.0001/F7076-ND/3427496

I don't recall if I needed larger pins for the main wire, I did get some along with the standard pins.  I will try and post a photo.

George R. Young

Quote from: WGuaire on September 19, 2019, 01:46:10 PM
. . .  My plan is to make this bike more touring oriented. It will need a better reg/rectifier . . .
The Vision was my touring mount for 20 years. It has nice power characteristics, good handling and shaft drive.

Having said that, it does not possess the reliability necessary for long distance touring. It left me stranded far from home a couple of time due to alternator failures. Returning home over multiple days sans lights and using bump starting is a drag. At the end, I started carrying a spare alternator on trips, the plan was to lean the bike against a tree in a campground and pop it in.

A series regulator (e.g. SH775) might improve the stator reliability due to reduced heating.
http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/SV650/seriesRegulator.html

I got around the Vision reliability problem  by buying a Concours for my long distance riding.

WGuaire

Quote from: George R. Young on September 21, 2019, 09:16:26 AM
Quote from: WGuaire on September 19, 2019, 01:46:10 PM
. . .  My plan is to make this bike more touring oriented. It will need a better reg/rectifier . . .
The Vision was my touring mount for 20 years. It has nice power characteristics, good handling and shaft drive.

Having said that, it does not possess the reliability necessary for long distance touring. It left me stranded far from home a couple of time due to alternator failures. Returning home over multiple days sans lights and using bump starting is a drag. At the end, I started carrying a spare alternator on trips, the plan was to lean the bike against a tree in a campground and pop it in.

A series regulator (e.g. SH775) might improve the stator reliability due to reduced heating.
http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/SV650/seriesRegulator.html

I got around the Vision reliability problem  by buying a Concours for my long distance riding.

George R Young - Better reg/rectifier is a good idea. My alternator is new. I will probably get a reg/rec from roadstercycle.com.

My other touring bike is a BMW 1994 K75 ABS. Runs like a smooth tank. I have enough watts for everything.
Bill

WGuaire

Quote from: kevin g on September 20, 2019, 02:30:15 PM
I replaced my fuse block with the Little Fuse FH2.  These are individual fuse holders that can be connected together.  I put five of them side-by-side in the same space as the original.  Here is a link: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/littelfuse-inc/178.6105.0001/F7076-ND/3427496

I don't recall if I needed larger pins for the main wire, I did get some along with the standard pins.  I will try and post a photo.

Kevin G - Looks like you bought 5 of them!
https://www.digikey.com/catalog/en/partgroup/fh2-series/33838?mpart=178.6105.0001&vendor=18

Bill

WGuaire

I found out where the regulator/rectifier lives. Three white wires to the stator. Red and one other to the main switch. Plus, brown, black and yellow. I've got some wiring diagrams to search.
There's a pic of the reg/rec model #.
  Also, looks like I found the turn signal flasher. I got a LED one for another bike. It has two connectors, not three. More research required before going LED turn signal bulbs. They don't draw enough power to make the standard flashers work.
Here's some pix:
Bill

fret not

The connectors in that receptical look dodgy at best.  Clean them to bright bare metal and use some dialetcric grease in the connection to prevent further corrosion.  The whole wiring system should be checked over and all connectors cleaned and greased.

The production design often cuts corners in manufacturing costs, and the XZ550 electrical system is no exception.  However, there are some things that can be done to stave off the most likely failures, and cleaning and greasing all the connections is one of those things.  Poor connections is one of the main causes of electrical failures, like where the stator wires connect with the wiring harness.  Poor connection causes resistance to increase, and this makes heat where the resistance is.  This is what causes some connectors and wires to melt.  An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure, especially out on the road where these things seem to happen.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

kevin g

WGuaire - Yes I added a fifth one in case I want to add another circuit.  The stacking feature makes these very versatile.  You cannot stack two of them on top of each other because there is not enough room under the seat but a single stack across has good clearance.  The pins for the wires take a particular crimping tool that I happen to have for other thins. (I am an electrical engineer).  If you need to know what tool let me know and I will dig up the part number.

jefferson

If you are going to replace the R/R I wouldn't even waste the money on the shunt type. Go with a series type regulator as George mentions. You will even have cooler oil temps as the stator isn't putting out as much heat which the oil has to absorb. All in all a much better way to go.

WGuaire

Quote from: fret not on September 21, 2019, 06:06:14 PM
The connectors in that receptical look dodgy at best.  Clean them to bright bare metal and use some dialetcric grease in the connection to prevent further corrosion.  The whole wiring system should be checked over and all connectors cleaned and greased.

The production design often cuts corners in manufacturing costs, and the XZ550 electrical system is no exception.  However, there are some things that can be done to stave off the most likely failures, and cleaning and greasing all the connections is one of those things.  Poor connections is one of the main causes of electrical failures, like where the stator wires connect with the wiring harness.  Poor connection causes resistance to increase, and this makes heat where the resistance is.  This is what causes some connectors and wires to melt.  An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure, especially out on the road where these things seem to happen.

I cleaned 'em. This whole bike is remarkably clean and in good condition. Lots of new parts.
  I installed a real H4. The difference is huge. Much better.
Inquiry sent about the reg/rec. We'll see if it can be set up with a good unit.
Bill

WGuaire

Quote from: jefferson on September 21, 2019, 09:34:31 PM
If you are going to replace the R/R I wouldn't even waste the money on the shunt type. Go with a series type regulator as George mentions. You will even have cooler oil temps as the stator isn't putting out as much heat which the oil has to absorb. All in all a much better way to go.

jefferson - Did you have a look at roadstercycle.com?
  There are better R/Rs out there. I'm trying to figure out if these will fit.
Bill

jefferson

No, I didn't look at the website, but generally those places don't have the series replacements as far as I know, but then I have been known to be wrong.

fret not

I just checked, and Roadstercycle.com does have both MOSFET  and SERIES kits plus other wires and parts.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

George R. Young

At roadstercycle.com:

The SH847 is a bit of overkill for a Vision.

WGuaire

Quote from: George R. Young on September 25, 2019, 09:18:19 AM
At roadstercycle.com:

The SH847 is a bit of overkill for a Vision.

Yesterday I received the Super MOSFET FH0200AA kit. It has the RR and the pre wired kit. I also ordered the adapter plate. I plan on relocating the RR off the back of the battery case to the rear sub frame.
  Since I'm doing this, I decided to add on the LED battery charge monitor. It's simple color code. I figure it's good to have on there.
  Pics and info to follow.
Bill

WGuaire

The Reg/Rectifier itself. The wiring kit. And the bracket.

WGuaire

Kevin G - I just ordered 5 of the fuse blocks as you did. Electrics can lose to the weakest link. This will be an important add on.
Bill

WGuaire

The upgraded Reg/Rectifier is installed along with the PC-8 fuse box. The entire stock fuse block was replaced with the same fuse blocks as Kevin G suggested. On the right side is the Garmin and the little LED that shows battery voltage. The left side has the rest of the sockets that run to the PC-8. Dual 2.1a USB ports, switch to the running lights on the lower front forks, and two sockets for the Gerbings controllers.
  So far so good. I did a run with the Gerbings upper running. I stayed comfortable.
Thanks for helping!
Bill