News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Wanted: Piston rings (new)

Started by The Prophet of Doom, November 19, 2019, 10:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Prophet of Doom

Does anyone have a set of New Piston rings they will sell me.
Needed one set, but I'll take two if you don't want to split a pair.

I've got plenty of old ones, but want this bike to be tight as it can be.

fret not

Oh, your whole 36 year old bike is 'used' parts.  Just check that there are no nicks or grooves in the rings, and that they have clean and uniform wear pattern, and check for end gap, and that it has tension when in the cylinder.  Also clean and closely inspect the ring lands for wear pattern and any irregularities.  If all is good it should work well.  If you detect any uneven wear in the ring lands you probably need other pistons
I used to have customers wanting me to make their instruments look new again, so I would tell them any finish repair will most likely show at least to some degree, and besides, the instrument is new only one time, and forever after will be a used instrument.  It's the old really good ones that are so valuable because they have been well taken care of.  Of course with motorcycles it is possible to change some parts and get a bit closer to 'new'.  I have been ensnared with my XZ project, and consequently spent more than the bike is worth accumulating the parts to put it on the road.  This is one of those times when the journey becomes the destination. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

I have a NOS set, std. bore for 1 piston. I don't remember what I paid but I will take $25 US plus shipping. If you still want the Uni air filter, I would like $15 for it
Whale oil beef hooked!

The Prophet of Doom

SOLD, Thanks Walt I'll take them both.  Can you please PM me your paypall address.

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: fret not on November 21, 2019, 02:19:06 AM
I have been ensnared with my XZ project, and consequently spent more than the bike is worth accumulating the parts to put it on the road. 
You and me both.  This is my fourth major XZ overhaul and that's a LOT of spare parts. 

The astounding thing is that after 75+k the bores still measure well within spec, though heavily glazed.  From what I gather, work hardening of used rings limits their ability to bed in to a fresh (and very badly needed) hone.  True or not I couldn't say, but I 'm sure it won't be worse from a new set of rings.