News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Rear wheel not centred in swing-arm.

Started by MikeScoot, November 27, 2019, 03:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeScoot

I noticed the same thing on an XZ I had many years ago. Both bikes I have here are the same; the rear wheels seem to sit off to the left of the bike's centreline.

Is this normal? Seems very strange.
Mike
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

The Prophet of Doom

It seems very strange, but apparently is very common.

I've heard a few possible explanations:
1) it improves overall stability, but the impact on handling is minimal as long as they both track on the same plane. 
2) it helps offset unbalanced left/right weight distribution
3) it's a symptom of parts-bin motorcycle design where the rear wheel offset is not known at the time of frame design

the cynic in me suggests 3)

MikeScoot

lololol
It's like they've used the wrong wheel in there. I wonder whether anyone has slipped a fatter wheel from another model  on.

jefferson

A fatter wheel won't fix the offset centerline. You would have to offset the wheel towards the centerline. It may also be an optical illusion as the right side of the swingarm is farther away from the wheel in order to slide the wheel that way in order to disengage the spines when you remove the wheel. Try the string method to see how the tires line up.

MikeScoot

Yeah, could be. My VMax had a shaft on the back and it didn't suffer that oddity though. Will certainly be looking into it more once I've crossed a few other things off the list.

And speaking of crossing things off the list; Finished the tank sealing today! Yay! Now just have to wait a few days for it to cure.

injuhneer

I am about to put a new rear tire on my XZ. I'll take a look at mine too.

I also owned a Vmax ('91) back in the day. I had a web site name The Circvs Vmaximvs. LOL
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

MikeScoot

Looks to me as though they've designed it to accept a fatter wheel, but fitted a smaller one instead for some reason. Interested to hear what you think.

Ah the VMax! Heavy girl, eh what - but go like a shower of sheet! Forever tweaking/cleaning carbs!

MikeScoot

Just read something on another thread that lead me to believe XJ900 rear wheel might fit. Can anyone confirm?
Thanks,
Mike

injuhneer

Same drive hub spline. Same axle diameter. Obviously fitment would require disc brake hardware but yeah, it will fit.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

MikeScoot

Thanks. I forgot about the XJ disk, but if I pick up a wheel cheaply I can play around.
Cheers,
Mike

injuhneer

I am hoping to do the same except folks in the USA have caught on and know that old Yammer owners use XJ900 wheels to do brake upgrades. The prices for used wheels reflect that.

It also allows mounting of a wider tire.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ