Mosfet regulator/rectifiers

Started by MikeScoot, November 30, 2019, 06:14:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeScoot

I'm thinking that if a certain unit can carry the amperage and has the correct voltage then it should not matter at all who made the unit or where they made it. Would this be  fair to summise?
Cheers,
Happy Mike - who battled against pre-existing (sorry George Carlin) stripped screw heads but got his carbs seperated and their outsides sparkly clean today - ready for surgery tomorrow.
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

George R. Young

MikeScoot

Thanks for the link. It does seem the series type might be better, but I'm thinking that since the MOSFET type is a pretty quantum improvement over the stock unit, and considering the expense of everything else my budget has to accommodate, I might just settle for a MOSFET type to get started. There will always be time to upgrade later.
Thanks again for the link - lots of info there.
Mike

Just ordered new SHINDENGEN FH012AA with extra connectors to hook it up to my bike. AU$30

The Prophet of Doom

They haven't made FH012AAs for years.  At $30 it will almost certainly be a fake, and to answer your prior question, yes it makes a huge difference who makes it. It's possibly not even MOSFET.

MikeScoot

Yeah, I stuffed up. The specs say;
Shindengen Mosfet FH020AA
Manufacturer Part Number: FH020AA
Material: Aluminum

MOSFET regs seem to be pretty much standard on most 'high-tech" modern bikes from what I can ascertain. They used to be a big deal, but not any more.

The Prophet of Doom

Still,at $30 your'e almost guaranteed it's a "replacement" for the FH020AA, and not an actual one.

On Ebay, they often show a picture of a genuine, then you read the ad carefully, it says the manufacturer is something other than Shindengen.
Cheapest genuine looking one I could find was $US130, and some of the fakes not far behind.

MikeScoot

You might be right. We'll see. They're more the norm now than the exception on modern high-tech bikes from what I can see. No big deal these days. MOSFET components are not expensive at all, though they do require more sophisticated circuitry.

In the meantime I'm happy as Larry because I tested the starter cranking and sparks today. BOTH WORK! YeeHaaa The list of things I might I have to throw more money at is getting smaller :-)

Next on the list are getting the swing-arm out for a refinish and getting into the carbs - which are off, cleaned up on the outside and ready to pull apart. Meant to do the carbs today but couldn't resist more parts cleaning and painting and checking aforementioned cranking and sparking.

WGuaire

I get my replacement regulator/rectifiers here:
https://www.roadstercycle.com/

I posted pics of it installed.

MikeScoot

Thanks for the link. I'll test the unit I have coming and if it looks at all inadequate I'll go from there.
Cheers

fret not

I did my shopping for RR units among used items from fairly recent bikes that are known to use the MOSFET type RR units.  Most Honda sporty bikes 2007 and later are candidates.  CBR600, CBR1000, etc.  Lots of high prices but occasionally something for $40 or so would show up.  I found a good selection from $40 to $65 or so, as well as many more asking for the moon.  It pays to be patient and keep looking.  Also Kawasaki ZX-10, ZX14, and Yamaha '06 FJR1000, '07 R1.  This is only a partial list of possibilities for MOSFET RR units that I have gleaned from several late night eBay sessions.  THEN the series type showed up.

These MOSFET RR units seem to be very robust and most likely to be good as used parts.  Of the half dozen MOSFET units I gathered I haven't found a bad one yet.  They do NOT test like the stock SCR shunt RR units because the circuitry is different.  The first couple MOSFET units I got I THOUGHT were bad because I used the regular test as outlined in the technical info linked to the ROV front page.  My proof they were good was to actually install one and read the voltage while changing the RPM.  It is reassuring to see 14.2V steady as the revs go up and down.  I still don't know how to test these units unless they are installed.

I did a lot of reading and asked questions, and the results are the linked web sites and articles in my old posts.  For parts like connectors, plugs, wires, etc. there is Eastern Beaver website to start with.  I see a couple other sites mentioned that should be good resources, also there is Compufire, which has series RR units but they are designed specifically for the Harley-Davidson crowd.  Also, their text/verbiage seems a bit suspect as they make some big claims.

I did this before any of us had heard of the series RR units, otherwise we might all be moving on to the series units.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

MikeScoot

Thanks Fret. I read your exhaustive report a while back. Lots of good info there.