How to reach rear exhaust screws to head with engine in frame?

Started by MikeScoot, December 08, 2019, 02:50:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeScoot

Even with the swing-arm off the screws into the head for the rear exhaust are un-Yamahaishly difficult to get at. I think I'll have to get an especially long 5mm hex set-up, but even then it will be very tricky doe to the flex through the hex shaft. There's no room for anything sturdier from what I can see.
Have I missed an easier way to do it?
Thanks
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

George R. Young

3/4" length of 5mm hex (Allen) key in a 5mm 1/4" drive socket, electrical tape to keep from separating. 1/4" drive universal joint and extensions to suit.

This is fresh in my mind as I just removed the rear cam chain tensioner adjustor from an '03 SV650S, which is conveniently located in a blind hole behind engine and frame. I have a set of 1/2" drive Allen key sockets, but the 5mm 'just wouldn't fit in there'.

Most motorcycle and car nuts and bolts can be handled with 1/4" or 1/2" drive socket sets and creative lash-ups.

kevin g

On the stock exhaust remove the y-pipe first and the there is more room to get to them.  I must have used my 5mm socket drive bits.  I also have some hex 'ball-end' drivers that I highly recommend.  They let one get at allen screws from an angle.

MikeScoot

Thanks fellas.

I ordered a extra-long (165mm) 5mm (ball end) last night. Also a bloke I work with is going to bring some other stuff in.

Happy right now 'cos I just ordered a used (but good) stock muffler/collectorbox assembly and already have a good 'y' piece and gasket ring fasteners. Should all bolt together nicely once the old stuff is off.

MikeScoot

Quote from: kevin g on December 08, 2019, 11:57:55 AM
On the stock exhaust remove the y-pipe first and the there is more room to get to them.  I must have used my 5mm socket drive bits.  I also have some hex 'ball-end' drivers that I highly recommend.  They let one get at allen screws from an angle.
Ah, must get some if I can't make the long key work. Cheers.

MikeScoot

Quote from: George R. Young on December 08, 2019, 10:22:31 AM
3/4" length of 5mm hex (Allen) key in a 5mm 1/4" drive socket, electrical tape to keep from separating. 1/4" drive universal joint and extensions to suit.

Off to Ebay again. Ha ha ha.
Cheers

MikeScoot

My new super-long ball-ended hex key did the trick this arvo! Luckily none of the screws had been overtightened by baboons on steroids. Thanks for all input on the topic.
Mike