caliper rebuild kits with slider pin boots - or calipers

Started by MikeScoot, December 09, 2019, 04:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeScoot

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a couple of caliper rebuild kits with slider pin boots?
OR a set (L & R) of working calipers?
If anyone knows which other Yamahas share these calipers it would be great info too. I think the XJ650 might have had the same left and right calipers, but would be grateful for info on other models that share them or similar that fit.
Thanks,
Mike

Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

The Prophet of Doom

As far as I know only some year models of the RZ350 uses the same caliper
Most all brake parts available from Yambits.co.uk

kevin g

Brake Crafters has complete rebuild kits that have the slider pin boots.  The RZ350 and XJ650 have the same calipers.  On the Brake Crafters site they don't have the kits listed under the XZ550 for some reason.

https://www.brakecrafters.com/collections/1983-yamaha-xj650-lk-seca/products/1982-1983-yamaha-xj650l-turbo-seca-front-brake-caliper-seal-stainless-steel-piston-kit

On my bike I am going to change the calipers to Yamaha FZ1 calipers that I got for a modest price and use the caliper adapters from Tony Doukas Racing.  This will give me modern 4-piston calipers.

fret not

This link should take you to a chart so you can figure out what size master cylinder you need for the size of the pistons in your calipers.  You get a choice of "wooden feeling" all the way to "power brakes" depending on the parts you choose. :police:

http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

MikeScoot

Quote from: kevin g on December 09, 2019, 11:02:15 PM
On my bike I am going to change the calipers to Yamaha FZ1 calipers that I got for a modest price and use the caliper adapters from Tony Doukas Racing.  This will give me modern 4-piston calipers.
RADICAL! What a hoot! What a blast!

Quote from: Prophet Of Doom on December 09, 2019, 05:57:30 AM

As far as I know only some year models of the RZ350 uses the same caliper
Most all brake parts available from Yambits.co.uk
Thanks for the info and link.  Thanks to others for other links too.

Mike

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: kevin g on December 09, 2019, 11:02:15 PM
Brake Crafters has complete rebuild kits that have the slider pin boots.  The RZ350 and XJ650 have the same calipers.  On the Brake Crafters site they don't have the kits listed under the XZ550 for some reason.

https://www.brakecrafters.com/collections/1983-yamaha-xj650-lk-seca/products/1982-1983-yamaha-xj650l-turbo-seca-front-brake-caliper-seal-stainless-steel-piston-kit

Are you sure about this? - I could have sworn the Seca calipers were different, though don't have a set here to compare.
There are two different bolt spacings for the RZ.  One is the same as the XZ, the other isn't so buy with care.

MikeScoot

The Prophet of Doom

MikeScoot

Got the pistons popped out by a mob here. Pistons and everything except bores are knackered. Too much drama and expense to rebuild repair. Will make do with the single disk front from the spare bike while I take my time catching another complete front end that fits the neck.