News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Ride Video

Started by guaire, December 13, 2019, 06:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guaire

Here's a video, shot from the saddle of my 1983 Vision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4Fkl1LuDZw

Rikugun

I see this was posted some ago but just had to comment, that is some beautiful black paint on that tank. I'm guessing the rest of the bike is as pretty. Nice 2 camera shoot - fancy!
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

WGuaire

Thank you, Rikugun.
  Overall, the bike is incredible. The tank may have been re-sprayed. There are lot of new parts, and a lot of good original parts.
I bought it from a retired pro motorcycle mechanic.
  I'm not a fan of Shinko tires. They look good. Ride good. But, the cheaper rubber compound is not going to stick well on wet pavement. I'm careful!
  I retired from the motion picture business and Mac computer support. Yes, I edit on a Mac. I don't like one camera shoots. If you can't cut, you have nothing going to pace or time the cinema.
  I'm looking to get a better audio recording, something out of the wind and a way to record my voice without wind roar!

Glad you appreciate it. This and the Royal Enfield forum are what I call 'geezer forums'. As in.... I don't do facebook, photos or movies!!! I appreciate that you got the like meter off of zero.
  I have a mount system on my Shoei. I have left a mount on the 'handlebar' of the Vision. The cameras are a pair of Olympus Tough One(s). They are waterproof, if needed!
Cheers,
Bill

fret not

Hi Bill,
I wouldn't be so quick to discount Shinko tires, the ones (Shinko 705) I have been running on my KLR have surprised me at how well they work.  I have drug the 'curb feelers' on my KLR several times, and finally knocked them off in some tight turns.  Never did I experience any feeling of slippage in this process.  I don't have much experience in the wet, but on dry pavement they seem to be a good choice.  This is obviously a dirt bike platform but I ride it mainly on the pavement. 

For wet conditions you need an open tread pattern so the water is channeled away from the contact patch allowing the tread good contact with the road surface.  Take a look at the tire tread pattern for the MotoGP rain tires, and those guys go really fast even in the rain.  No rubber compound will work if it is hydroplaning.  I think we all 'back off' a bit when conditions become sketchy, but it is reassuring to have "good" tires if conditions deteriorate.  Actually, it is reassuring to have good tires all the time.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

WGuaire

Silica in the compound provides better grip with a tire.

I had a 1988 Yamaha Radian YX600. I would use engine braking a lot going into stops and turns. My rear end kept bouncing. When the rear wheel was bouncing, it wasn't gripping. Thus, not being so good for setting for turns. I had a great looking Kenda. I switched to Metzlers. Problem solved.

More recently I had a 1982 BMW R80RT. Under braking load the front end washed out. I replaced those Shinkos with Michelin Pilots.

The stickier compounds have a higher silica content. That means a higher price. I ride in an area infested with drivers who are aggressive, arrogant and full of themselves. I need every advantage I can get to stay safe. I never know when I might need to do all out emergency stop. Sticky tires are a cheap advantage. They're cheaper than trips to the ER.

I've seen in the ADV side of riding reviews for Shinkos. I imagine they work well. All Shinko tires have great looking treads and compounds.

Cheers,
Bill

Rikugun

Although I've never tried Shinkos, it seems one is hard pressed to buy a truly bad tire these days. The technology has come so far since I've started riding it's amazing. Admittedly, I don't ride as aggressively as I once did either. I care more about the tire's longevity and just expect it will perform in other areas to my satisfaction.

I have a set of the Michelin Pilots on my Vision now and am happy with them although I wasn't aware of the silica thing. I've also run Contis, Avons, Metzlers, Bridgestones, and Dunlops all with good results. I guess I'll have to try the Shinkos next.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is then to persist in delusion, however satisfying or reassuring.  Carl Sagan

WGuaire

Quote from: Rikugun on May 25, 2020, 08:49:55 AM
Although I've never tried Shinkos, it seems one is hard pressed to buy a truly bad tire these days. The technology has come so far since I've started riding it's amazing. Admittedly, I don't ride as aggressively as I once did either. I care more about the tire's longevity and just expect it will perform in other areas to my satisfaction.

I have a set of the Michelin Pilots on my Vision now and am happy with them although I wasn't aware of the silica thing. I've also run Contis, Avons, Metzlers, Bridgestones, and Dunlops all with good results. I guess I'll have to try the Shinkos next.

If you do, be very careful in the rain.
Some tires of today use dual compounds. A hard compound for miles in the centers and soft compound for good adhesion away from center.
Rather than Shinko, I would go for the Contis for some economy.
Bill