Use front type exhaust gaskets on rear?

Started by MikeScoot, December 13, 2019, 09:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeScoot

Has anyone succesfully used the front type copper exhaust gaskets to seal the rear two-into-one to manifold adapters?
The factory ones (11H14714) are available from a couple of mobs but ridiculously expensive.
Thanks
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

jefferson

The gaskets that seal the front and rear at the head are the same part. The copper rings that seal the y-pipe to the spigots are a solid copper ring. You might try annealing them and use some red silicone also. A friend of mine found something at the auto parts store that worked.

MikeScoot

Quote from: jefferson on December 15, 2019, 12:54:40 PM
The gaskets that seal the front and rear at the head are the same part. The copper rings that seal the y-pipe to the spigots are a solid copper ring. You might try annealing them and use some red silicone also. A friend of mine found something at the auto parts store that worked.

Yes, after consideration and checking I reckon I'll anneal them and use a small amount of gun putty. Mine are not too badly deformed so should work OK.
Thanks for your post.
Mike

injuhneer

In a pinch I have used tightly rolled aluminum foil along with exhaust sealant to make an exhaust gasket.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

MikeScoot

She's all bolted up in there now. I used the old gaskets with a high-temp silicone which seems to have copper in it. It seems to have crushed down pretty tight under those band connectors. Fingers are crossed!