News:

Main Menu

1983 getting 11.96 volts

Started by WGuaire, December 30, 2019, 05:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGuaire

Hi - I have a new roadstercycle mosfet regulator/rectifier. I'm running an Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse box. I added a little LED voltage flasher. It attaches to my headlight positive and the ground runs to the ground cable of the battery. The flashing volt reader was flashing red 3 times in bursts. That means power is low. I have a new Yuasa AGM battery.

I checked the power at the battery terminals at 2000 RPM. 11.96 volts!!! What and where should I check next? Is it possible for the alternator going? If so, how do I check it?

BTW, I tried to do a search on the forum. Didn't work so well.

Regards,
Bill

WGuaire

"Search" brought this up from Rick G:
"A properly functioning Vision stator should put out 50 to 55 VAC. Measure  across any two stator leads  in succession."
I'll have to figure out how to do that.

fret not

With the ignition off what voltage does your battery read?  Have you checked the continuity readings on the 3 wires coming out of the stator?  Check them with the motor off, then check voltage with it running.  The technical information can be found in a link on the opening page: in the block of blue bars in the lower left side of the page, "Dave's Ignition FAQ".  You will find what you need there.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

MikeScoot

Might also be a good idea to check the calibration of the multimeter. Oslo, what is the battery voltage when the bike is not running compared to when it IS running?

Oops, Fret mentioned that.
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

The Prophet of Doom

Ken Williams

The Rick G voltage measurement is made with engine running and stator wires disconnected from the regulator/rectifier.  If you make these measurements, also measure the voltage from stator lead to ground.  Significant voltage there indicates the stator wiring is shorted to ground.  Generally, stator serviceability can be determined with stator lead to lead and lead to ground resistance measurements, engine not running. 

WGuaire

Here's my first test. The Power Probe tells me polarity and if there is current, it will show the voltage. It is connected to the battery's terminals. These three yellow wires at the Reg/Rectifier are the 3 wires coming off the stator. Notice each of the three read as (-), going to a ground. The motor is not running. Has my stator gone to ground?

WGuaire

Second test: I disconnected the yellow stator wires from the Reg/Rect. The red probe is on the 3 yellow wires at the gang plug. The black probe is on the NEG battery terminal. The setting on the meter is at 200 ohm. I'm getting continuity on the ohm meter.

fret not

One point toward clarity is to make sure your battery is well charged before testing anything.  You reported the battery is new AGM type, but is it charged fully?  Once you determine the battery is charged then proceed with the other tests.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

WGuaire

I put in a new Yuasa AGM. Charged by Nocco. I'll continue in the AM.
Thanks, for helping!

Ken Williams

It appears that second test is a measurement of stator phase to ground resistance with stator not connected to the reg/rect.  If so, the value of 7 ohms indicates the stator is shorted to ground and must be rewound or replaced. 

WGuaire

Next week a new stator will be arriving. It was baked and fried.

WGuaire

I got an Africa Twin stator from an eBay seller. It fits!

injuhneer

Quote from: WGuaire on January 10, 2020, 04:15:59 PM
I got an Africa Twin stator from an eBay seller. It fits!

What model year(s)? Which seller? Does the rotor fit over the new stator?
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

WGuaire

It fits. I still have to get everything attached and wired up again the the RR. We'll see if it rotates when I can start up.

injuhneer

Any update? If this works/fits I need to order one for my Viz.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

WGuaire

Quote from: injuhneer on January 15, 2020, 10:42:47 AM
Any update? If this works/fits I need to order one for my Viz.

Started and warmed up two days ago so I could check the oil level. I'll ride shortly. Pics to follow.

injuhneer

- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

WGuaire

WGuaire

My parts guy never got back to me about a replacement gasket. I used Yamabond 4 instead. I squeezed a blob onto some cardboard and applied the goo onto the gasket surface using popsicle sticks and cotton swabs, keeping it thin. At my local variety store I bought some small corks that kept the bond out of the screw holes.