Starter oil seal

Started by MikeScoot, January 08, 2020, 04:37:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeScoot

Got a leak from the starter without even starting the motor yet!

Am wondering whether it can be sealed with sealant (silicone) or not.

Thanks

EDIT - In retrospect, I suppose Yamaha wouldn'd have put that seal there if there was an easier way to seal it. So I suppose I'm off to the Yammie shop tomorrow. :-)  My exhaust sleeve was up from Sydney THE NEXT DAY, so I can't complain about their service. Price was good too - only AU$12  !!! For anyone interested; Yamaha Australia also carries Ring Free for AU$49.
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

fiat-doctor

Remember the starter has TWO seals to deal with...  the large o-ring that seals the motor to the block
and the seal that keeps oil OUT of the starter.   Search this subject for the size of the seal.  The one that keeps oil out of the starter did not have a spring on it from the factory and is a known problem.  A better replacement is easily sourced elsewhere.

MikeScoot

Ah! Thanks. I have read about that but the starter seems good so far so I forgot that will need doing. I suppose that since it will have to come out anyway I may as well do that other seal at the same time - and the starter clutch (I bought a six sided socket today to get the flywheel bolt off that).
Off to the micro-fiche to get the part number for that other seal.
Cheers

injuhneer

I am looking at a double lip seal upgrade for the starter.

Also replace the o-ring with a quad-ring.

-Mike O
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

jefferson

I always used a little red silicone on the nose of the starter as a little insurance policy.

MikeScoot

Yeah, I will be using some silicone on there too.
Got a double-lipped oil seal for the starter shaft from a local bearing place. It's 20x35x7mm whereas the originall is 6mm, but I read someone got a 7mm in there. They can order a 6mm in, so if 7mm looks too squeezie I'll order one (6mm).

Now back to painting and electrics. Will never use acrylic to do a bike ever again - or any other auto finish work. Had dramas with 'solvent sensitivity'. Just about sorted now though :-)

fret not

Mike, are you close to the fires?  I am sorry to see the fires burning in Australia.  Our fire season here in California has recently come to a close for the time being.  Cold weather here now, but warmer and drier weather is coming by June when our fire season begins again. 

I live in the "woods" so must keep a clearance near my home and thin the population of trees and 'ladder fuels' in the surrounding 'bush'.  There are definitely two sides to the coin of living in the woods, and so far it has been worth the effort but I can see how it all could change in a very short time. 
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

MikeScoot

Sorry for not replying soon. Somehow I missed your post.

Yeah, the fires were pretty close a couple of weeks ago. We had to relocate several large vehicles from one of our depots. The air was REALLY heavy with smoke for weeks, and ash fell everywhere - all day every day. You know when a huge storm is coming and light dims severely? That's what it was like.  But there was no storm - only heat and fires and really thick smoke and ash.
  Did some serious clearing up around this place, but have a river which never runs dry at the end of the yard - so no need to panic too much.
  In this region we've been having some reasonably good rain over the last few days so risk is pretty minimal now. But fires can be sneaky. They can lurk around in the embers of fallen trees and the like (even after good rain) and flare up again later.
  A lot of the fuel (dry leaves, dead trees, branches etc etc) that accumulate on the ground are gone now so we're good for quite a few years before we get another season as bad as this one.
  A lot of people are angry at the stupidity of regulations restricting the activity of humans and livestock in state forests and national parks. Unimaginably immense areas have just been neglected and fuel has been allowed to accumulate unchecked. That is the root cause of such intense fires. 'Controlled burning' has been a practise continued for centuries - until a couple of decades ago.
  This 'conservationist' business is DANGEROUS!

The Prophet of Doom

Best wishes Mike,
The smoke is pretty thick over here in New Zealand so it must be awful over there.

MikeScoot

lolol Is that smoke blowing directly your way, or coming the long way round? I read the smoke has gone right around the globe now!
I hope all the famously good NZ wool is still white this year with no au-de-gutted-gumtree.
Cheers mate