Oil Change 2.6L

Started by WGuaire, January 13, 2020, 03:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGuaire

I put in a new oil filter that I had soaked in new oil. I put the rest of the quart in. Altogether I put in 2.6L. After warming up, I'm still not seeing any oil in the sight glass. This is my first Vision oil change. Am I missing something?
Cheers,
Bill

cvincer

With a filter change you need to put in ......   2.9 US qt   (2.7 liters).

With the engine   COLD , the oil should be up to the  'full' mark on the sight glass.

If you cannot see any oil through the sight glass, I believe it will be that the sight glass is so dirty, viewing is not possible.

If the LH cover has to come off for any reason, always a good idea to clean the sight glass.

MikeScoot

I know it's highly unlikely, but another possibility is that the means by which you measured the oil was dodgy. I recently put 2.6 litres in mine  after a good draining (and changing the filter and having a bit of a gander at the flywheel and stator set-up) and it came up to the high mark.
(Sadly it's going down again very slowly because of a 'steady drip drip drip' from the crapped-out seal on the starter. No wonder less than one litre came out of the thing. Lolol the dude I bought it from must have a pretty cruddy floor in his shed from all that oil!)
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

WGuaire

Quote from: cvincer on January 13, 2020, 06:59:46 PM
With a filter change you need to put in ......   2.9 US qt   (2.7 liters).

With the engine   COLD , the oil should be up to the  'full' mark on the sight glass.

If you cannot see any oil through the sight glass, I believe it will be that the sight glass is so dirty, viewing is not possible.

If the LH cover has to come off for any reason, always a good idea to clean the sight glass.

Thanks, cvincer. I had the left case off to replace the stator. The glass is clean. I'll add 200 ml of oil and look for oil.

On the facebook xz550 page, someone recommended I unplug the TCI and crank the motor. How would doing that help?

MikeScoot - I got a good amount of oil when I drained it. While waiting for the stator to arrive, I let the oil do a good drain. Maybe I got more out than I should have?! Plus, I did an oil filter change too.
Cheers,
Bill

jefferson

The procedure I always use is to fill the oil to the top of the sight glass. Start and run the engine to fill the oil filter cavity and then shut it off and let it sit for awhile and then check to see where the level is. Top things off and you should be good. The recommended amounts of oil needed are not always accurate. I have seen the amounts off by a qt. of oil before. The oil level needs to be to the full mark on the dipstick or window and then I feel it's ok to run the engine to fill the oil filter.

WGuaire

The bike sat overnight. Yesterday morning I checked the level. Sight glass was full of fresh oil.
  I attached the rear frame covers, both panel covers and the lower front fairing. I'll go for a ride today.
What a bid deal for something that fixed itself overnight!! But, now I know —- wait a day!