News:

Main Menu

Sight Glass for master cylinder?

Started by fret not, January 31, 2020, 08:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fret not

Where would one look to find a sight glass for the master cylinder?  It is not available as a OEM standard part, at least it is not shown on the microfiche.  The sight glass in my master cylinder is plastic and has been gouged, also it is very hazy so more difficult to see the fluid level.  Also, since it is in a brake fluid environment, what does it get sealed with?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

jefferson

I'm thinking I have seen those available, but memory could be better. Maybe Yambits in the uk.

fiat-doctor

Speaking of foggy memories...  I think this was much discussed here in the past and I think someone said a jeweler to make them out of watch crystal material???  And they set them in place with a smear of silicone..
Really reaching into my memory... I think the size was 16.7mm...  I'm thinking google the site might be your best bet...  Steve

MikeScoot

It might just be better (and probably cheaper) to replace the entire master cylinder with a new one. There are aftermarket ones selling very cheaply on Ebay and the original Yamaha lids fit right onto them.
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

fret not

My situation is that I have put a 4 piston caliper from a FZR1000 (because it bolts to the forks without any fabrication and accommodates a 320mm rotor), and checking the master cylinder/ caliper chart shows the most appropriate MC bore is about 1/2" (13mm) which turns out to be what the '82 M/C is, so I got a rebuild kit for it.  Now the sight glass needs replacement.  Thanks for the reminder about watch crystals.  If I decide to add another rotor I will need a different m/cyl.

I have looked at m/cyls on eBay trying to find a more modern used production part as OEM is usually of good quality.  In the process I looked at other offerings, often from China.  They might be fine but I don't know that they are. 

kevin g

I did an internet search a while back and found the replacements are available.  I don't recall if I saw them on amazon or the auction site.

injuhneer

Quote from: fiat-doctor on February 02, 2020, 01:28:00 AM
Speaking of foggy memories...  I think this was much discussed here in the past and I think someone said a jeweler to make them out of watch crystal material???  And they set them in place with a smear of silicone..
Really reaching into my memory... I think the size was 16.7mm...  I'm thinking google the site might be your best bet...  Steve

I have used watch crystals set in place with a quad-ring and a snap ring.

Alternately JB Weld Tank Weld can be used to epoxy the lens in place.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

fret not

pinholenz

This thread is a bit old now, but if anyone is interested, it refers back to a thread from about 10 years ago with useful information

http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=13546.msg143137#msg143137

Enjoy
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550

kevin g

Search for an 18mm site glass and a bunch will pop up.  It is 18mm aluminum around the window with an o-ring to seal the fluid.  I replaced mine very easily.

pinholenz

Thanks Kevin G. My 40 year old Master Cylinder is at the powder coaters at the moment. I haven't removed the aluminium sleeve, but if it is held in by a rubber "o" ring then no doubt it will get fried in the oven and I will be back to square one. I'll let you know how I get on.
However, I did remove the "cats eye" which is retained by an "o"ring. My  16.7mm glass fits perfectly on to the lip that remains when the old plastic sight glass is removed. I wanted to put the"cats eye" back in to retain the look of the original.
Only one '82.5  eXtreme Zen 550