News:

Main Menu

Putting the Spin On your Vision

Started by injuhneer, February 03, 2020, 10:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

injuhneer

I have read a number of incomplete oil filter relocation threads. I decided to go look at my XZ to see what is possible. This came to mind because I drained the oil to perform the stator replacement and remembered to change the oil filter.

The OEM filter location isn't terrible. Cartridges tend to be messy if they don't have a vertical housing to catch the dripping oil (like a BMW car) but it is accessible.

In short a cover for the oil filter well would be first. Ideally the cover would eliminate the filter. Relocation looks like it would be simple.

The Yamaha XJ's had their filter on the front between the exhaust down-pipes. I used to make adapters for those.

It would be dead simple to put an adapter in and run lines to the front for this arrangement. It has the advantage of being exposed to air for heat dissipation with the exhaust only being an issue while at a standstill.

Another option would be to use a small spin-on like that on the Gold Wing. This would fit nicely alongside the rear cylinder on the right side of the engine.

Another option would be to park the filter in the V under the carbs or in place of the YICS box.

The advantage of both of these arrangements is the ability to put a cooler inline on the pressure side. A heat exchanger or simple tube radiator would help with the engine oil temps. I used to make some small linear tube radiators for the Vmax crowd but I can't seem to find a photo.

Once I am done with the stator stuff and have replaced the fuse box I'll get started on this. It seems to have been many years since the original posts were made and maybe no one cares any longer.

- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

jefferson

I am in the process of using a spin on oil filter adapter from a first gen V-max on my XS750. The bike really needs an oil cooler and I am installing one from an 850. The problem is you can't change the oil filter with out removing the exhaust if you have a Kerker header. That's more trouble than I want to mess with so this was mentioned on a now extinct forum and now have to figure some things out. You are probably familiar with the spin on filter adapter for the first gen V-max as it's sounds you were pretty involved with them.

injuhneer

Indeed. I used to run a web site named The Circus Vmaximus. I made frame braces, spin-on adapters, caliper adapters and a few other items. I was also a long time VMOA member until that all went sideways. Your adapter might have been made by me or by a gent named Don Smith. Of course there were others who made their own or small runs.

My Vmax -

I need to find a good reference for oil filter dimensions. I am wondering if there is a spin-on small enough to fit in the space from the mounting face of the filter cover to the outer dimension of the right engine cover (where the coolant hoses exit or the clutch cover) with a diameter small enough to fit in that space.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

MikeScoot

I'm a bit off topic (just chin-wagging), but that's a nice example of a VMax.
I'll dig around and try to find some pics of mine. Might warrant another thread; XZ's bigger and WAY heavier sister. Struth that thing was heavy! Almost dropped it a couple of times while wheeling on uneven surfaces and it took a good 10 minutes to get her back up each time. A good heave to get her up to resting on my knee, then a rest, then another good heave to get her properly uprighted. Funky bike with a TON of grunt and cool noise - not to mention 'spin and point' cornering.

EDIT Found one

Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

injuhneer

There is a common filter that may work. Dimensionally it would only protude past the water pump cover a few mm. The problem I see with a direct fit on the side of the engine is that the filter would be crushed if the bike was dropped. Consequently I am thinking of relocation.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

fret not

If the oil filter is relocated then an oil cooler can be incorporated into the system.  Would a bigger radiator for the cooling system be adequate or would an oil cooler actually be more beneficial?
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

MikeScoot

Putting it in the space usually occupied by the YICS canister (one of the options you mentioned) would possibly be the most elegant.
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

injuhneer

Quote from: fret not on February 04, 2020, 01:19:32 PM
If the oil filter is relocated then an oil cooler can be incorporated into the system.  Would a bigger radiator for the cooling system be adequate or would an oil cooler actually be more beneficial?

After closer inspection I think that a heat exchanger to pass the primary cooling load to the radiator would be good. The  inlet hose to the coolant pump routed to an exchanger that is incorporated with the oil supply line would transfer heat more quickly than the secondary path through the engine castings.

Maybe a mock-up and a few tests are in order but I'll model it first (as close a possible).
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

injuhneer

Quote from: MikeScoot on February 04, 2020, 02:22:41 PM
Putting it in the space usually occupied by the YICS canister (one of the options you mentioned) would possibly be the most elegant.

I tend to agree.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

The Prophet of Doom

Seems like a lot of effort to cure an issue that isn't there. The vision runs pretty cool except when sitting in traffic.  That's more easily cured with a fan switch rather than extra cooling fins.

jefferson

It would be good to know what the oil temps run on a hot day running down the hwy. at 70 to 75. That would tell you if action was warranted. I run the Yoshimura multi meters on the XS and ZRX. The voltmeter and clock comes in handy. The ZRX has only a red light for overtemp which I didn't like and the XS being air cooled I went for oil temp on it. The only thing I don't like about them is they read in celsius. The XS definitely has a problem with high oil temps, hence the 850 oil cooler I'm working on. Once I get things up and running I will be interested to see how much drop I get with the cooler. I plan on running with the cooler covered and then uncovered to see how much benefit results.
The one problem I can see is the Vision doesn't have a pan you can drop to have a sender installed. The drain plug would be big enough I'm thinking to drill and tap for the sender in the middle of it. A heat gun might work, but you would need to make sure you were getting a good reading off the sump.

injuhneer

Quote from: Prophet Of Doom on February 06, 2020, 08:17:39 PM
Seems like a lot of effort to cure an issue that isn't there. The vision runs pretty cool except when sitting in traffic.  That's more easily cured with a fan switch rather than extra cooling fins.

I am not in a hurry. I also have not had the chance to ride it on a hot day here in Arizona.

- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

injuhneer

Coming back to this subject...

I was recently looking at some options to monitor the engine in general (oil temp and pressure, volts). I have been looking for some gauges or other panel that would fit well but haven't found anything that impresses me as suitable.

I suppose I'll start with oil temp. I'd like to know before messing with the oil system.

I also think that a mod like this is about tinkering. The OEM filter location is simple to access and the filters are plentiful. Putting a spin-on in the V of the engine would look cool but would move the mess from the side of the motor to the top.

On the XJs and Vmax it was obvious and simplified service. Simplified service encourages more maintenance with most enthusiasts. The oil filter service is pretty simple on the XZ so this is more of a customization rather than a mod to fix a design problem.

- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

jefferson

The Yoshimura multi meter works real nice. It doesn't do pressure, but temp, volts, and a clock. I have them on 2 of my bikes. They do read in celsius though.