News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

New stator & r/r wiring question

Started by DBVision510, February 15, 2020, 09:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DBVision510

Just installed a new stator from Ricks and decided to go ahead and upgrade my r/r to a sh775 while I was at it. I have read that some folks run the positive and negative wires directly to the battery when replacing. My plan is to go this route and install an in-line fuse near the battery.  My question- do I need to run a positive wire to the old harness or is it now obsolete? Thanks in advance for any insight!

WGuaire

Quote from: DBVision510 on February 15, 2020, 09:36:33 PM
Just installed a new stator from Ricks and decided to go ahead and upgrade my r/r to a sh775 while I was at it. I have read that some folks run the positive and negative wires directly to the battery when replacing. My plan is to go this route and install an in-line fuse near the battery.  My question- do I need to run a positive wire to the old harness or is it now obsolete? Thanks in advance for any insight!

Hi DBVision - I put this roadstercycle.com RR on my Vision. It has two connectors. One is a 3 wire to connect the stator wires into the Reg/Rect. There is a 2 wire between the battery and the RR. There is an inline 30 amp reset able fuse.
  The stock set up has an inefficient regulator/rectifier sending power to the ? Fan and headlight? The better MOSFET actually regulates power and sends power back to the battery. It's a much simpler set up than stock.

Here's the URL for the wiring:
https://www.roadstercycle.com/Easy%20Mosfet%20Install.htm

I also installed the LED voltage monitor.

Jack Fleming will communicate with you and help you.

I wanted the Vision to be a sports touring bike, with plenty of "farkles".  A good RR is vital for that. I have two Gerbings plugs, a dual USB socket, a switch for dual driving lights, and a wired in Garmin mount.
  My H4 compatible bulb and rear/brake lights use fewer amps.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-and-subminiature-bulbs/motorcycle-h4-led-fanless-headlight-conversion-kit-with-compact-heat-sink-2000-lumens/3930/8566/

I replaced the battery with a Yuasa AGM, stator, R/R, added an LED voltage monitor and an Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuse box to organize the extra electric plumbing. http://easternbeaver.com/

I hope your bike becomes a good runner!

Cheers,
Bill

injuhneer

I solved the 5th circuit problem by removing the old fuse panel (clips were broken, etc) and replace it with 5 3AG/AGC single fuse holders. Each is mounted to the fender in place of the original and provides room for a 5th circuit.

I had some thin polycarbonate and made a clear cover for them.

Currently my SH775 connects to the wiring harness OEM plug. Generally that is enough to do the job but I too want to add some additional lighting (driving lights on front and a fog/foul weather on the rear). The direct connect to the battery will facilitate higher power capacity to the battery but ultimately the harness limits current.

I am going to add the 5th circuit to the battery but am thinking it may be switched (relay) and only close when the AUX lighting is on.

@Bill,
I've used Superbright stuff on other vehicles. I'd be interested in a photo of the light pattern from the H4 replacement.
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

WGuaire

Injuneer - When  I get home, I'll shoot some pics.

injuhneer

- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

kevin g

I put a Safego F2 LED in my Vision and R100RS and I think the pattern is amazing.  Both bikes have very crisp cutoff on the top of the beam and good side projection with waaaaay more illumination.  These bulbs have small reflective "eyelids" above the LED chip and I think this goes a long way to making a sharp beam.

I have LED bulbs in my R1200GSA and they do not have a well defined pattern, there is no reflector above the LED chip.

Also, take a look at the LED bulbs that Aerostich is selling, they have reflectors above the chip.  I may try one in my R1200RS but there is not much room behind the dust cover so I am on the fence there.

WGuaire

Quote from: injuhneer on February 27, 2020, 07:24:05 PM
Any luck with the headlight?
It's been a bit of freezing at night! I've been doing some photo work, indoors! Out in the garage, I've been mostly working on my Royal Enfield GT, installing a custom head.
  Later this week our temp will go up. I'll try shooting then.
Bill

injuhneer

Quote from: kevin g on February 27, 2020, 09:54:53 PM
I put a Safego F2 LED in my Vision and R100RS and I think the pattern is amazing.  Both bikes have very crisp cutoff on the top of the beam and good side projection with waaaaay more illumination.  These bulbs have small reflective "eyelids" above the LED chip and I think this goes a long way to making a sharp beam.

I have LED bulbs in my R1200GSA and they do not have a well defined pattern, there is no reflector above the LED chip.

Also, take a look at the LED bulbs that Aerostich is selling, they have reflectors above the chip.  I may try one in my R1200RS but there is not much room behind the dust cover so I am on the fence there.

I will. I had a set of LED replacements in another vehicle. They did not have the mask / reflector and when I got into a snowstorm around Flagstaff the light shining upward illuminated the snow and made visibility very poor.

Thanks for the tip!
- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

jefferson

That might not have been down to just the led's. Back in the 80's on the way back from a race we got caught in a big snowstorm. The snow was just blinding in the headlights. I noticed a lot of cars without headlights on and I turned mine off and I could see fine. I'm sure it wasn't legal, but it made sense once you tried it and we got home that night.

injuhneer

Quote from: jefferson on February 29, 2020, 09:06:49 AM
That might not have been down to just the led's. Back in the 80's on the way back from a race we got caught in a big snowstorm. The snow was just blinding in the headlights. I noticed a lot of cars without headlights on and I turned mine off and I could see fine. I'm sure it wasn't legal, but it made sense once you tried it and we got home that night.

Indeed. In my case it was night. I killed the headlight and drove on the fog lights below the bumper. Much better.

Anyway post photos when you get a chance and its warmer!!

- Mike O
1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ

jefferson

It was nighttime for me too. All the snow on the ground made it much brighter in order to see.

DBVision510

Thanks for the input! I went ahead and wired the sh775 r/r directly to the battery with a 30 amp fuse on the positive (near the battery). Left the r/r in the stock position, figure the new series unit won't get as hot as the original. while I was updating everything else, I grabbed a new lithium ion battery. So far- she's running like a champ, r/r is staying cool and the new battery is holding up/staying charged (and it shaved a good 10 lbs of weight off the bike.. The overall operating temp is staying way lower as well.

While I had the bike apart for the stator I painted the cover black with hi-temp krylon and wrapped all the wires outside the bike with a black and gold braided sleeve that matches the paint.