News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Trip meter knob

Started by MikeScoot, February 18, 2020, 07:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeScoot

I'm changing the instrument housing on my main instrument set but am hung up on removing the trip meter knob. Have given it a couple of pretty firm pulls and can't spot anything resembling a fastener down the hole in the middle.

Does anyone know what holds them on?

Thanks
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

Walt_M.

there is a tiny phillips head screw. Actually it's a JIS but a 00 phillips will get it.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

Excellent! Thanks very much, Walt.

Had tried small cross-heads in there buy obviously not small enough. Even had the guy at the biggest tool store in town helping, but seems we just didn't go small enough.

Cheers

The Prophet of Doom

It's an m3 thread x 6mm pan head if you want to replace it with a head that's not JIS

MikeScoot

Got the sucker with a driver I already had at the end of the day.
The 'problem' was some heavy-duty gunk had got down there and wouldn't even give way to a small sharp driver - until I gently hammered it in.

Have dismantled, fiberglassed cracked base plate, fashioned a small plate to secure the speedo to baseplate better, reassembled, dressed, masked glass and sprayed housing with clearcoat to make 'milky' black plastic truly black again. Looking pretty good now and I have my fingers crossed that these instruments actually work.

Cheers,
Mike

WGuaire

Sounds like an opportunity to buy a set of JIS screwdrivers. You can use them to remove the front brake reservoir cover too.

MikeScoot

lololol I have more JIS stuff here than you can poke a stick at - from the stuff I wear to the tools I have. I lived there for 16 years.