500 GT Single

Started by WGuaire, February 28, 2020, 01:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGuaire

I have a 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT 535. Pictured is the custom, carved from billet cylinder head. It's called the Fireball, out of ACE Motors.
  It's a twin spark head. I'm setting up a pair of DynaTek coils.
Bill

MikeScoot

Nice bit of work. I did a quick search and found a very nice-looking cafe under that model name. Looks like a fun ride!
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

WGuaire

Quote from: MikeScoot on February 29, 2020, 05:57:28 AM
Nice bit of work. I did a quick search and found a very nice-looking cafe under that model name. Looks like a fun ride!

The GT is a modern frame. It was designed by Harris Brothers in the UK. The GT is good in the turns and on what the state of Virginia calls "byways".
  The big singles of RE are a lot of fun. But, for a lot of people in the US you have to drive on interstate/highways to get to the 'fun' roads. That's where the power limits come into non-play. This makes for a dodgy experience at higher speeds to safely flow in highway traffic.  The motors pull with great torque from idle, then poop out. There are no 'higher revs', the stock heads limit better breathing to continue the power curve above 5k. The Fireball will breathe and extend power into higher revs.
  This engine is long stroke, two valve. This makes power down low. The Vision is big bore, 4 valve. It's built for making its power at higher revs. I like the Vision motor more than say a Yamaha Radian YX600. The Radian has a big power hit, but it needs revs. The Vision has a decent - flatter power band.

MikeScoot

I understand what you mean about the 500 GT. I've never ridden one, but did have the pleasure of riding a Ducati 450 single for a few days while setting it up properly for its owner many years ago.

Yeah, the XZ pulls quite well down low for an oversquare motor and, as I'm sure you know, the piston has less distance to travel than a motor of longer stroke. This has a number of benefits such as less reciprocating mass, less friction (theoretically) and higher possible RPM. It also has drwabacks such as much greater demands from the piston (which does NOT expand evenly across its surfaces) and less 'low-down' grunt.
One of the many outstanding things about the XZ is that it DOES have some pretty good power down low - and then winds out to an excellent (for its day) 10,000RPM factory redline.
Another VERY endearing thing about the motor design and set-up is the throaty, loud and clear intake noise. Superb!

By the way, I noticed in the video you made that you're keeping the motor spinning pretty briskly even when you're not chasing hard acceleration. Just to be ready and on the safe side?

Just had lunch here and it's now time to to thread all cabling and wiring back up to the bars. Clusters, triple clamps, headlight shell, brackets etc etc. have been apart a repaint over the last couple of weeks. Caliper and front wheel too. And most of their nuts, bolts and washers came in for polish or paint while I was at it. Cables all cleaned and oiled and my fuel petcock-to-tank 'o' ring should be ready at the local bearing shop tomorrow morning.

Cheers and happy riding,
Mike

WGuaire

Mike - "Safety"... traffic is somewhat intense here. I was in 'downtown' Mclean, VA. Drivers can be nasty here.
  It just hit 45 degrees and it's sunny. I might get my electric jacket on and take a ride.

Bill

MikeScoot

lololol Dopey drivers are the blane of all other road users - and themselves. The small city I live in is a mix of old school hard workers and "alternative" types. Always something to raise your eyebrows and test the reflexes. lololol If it didn't already have a name I'd call it Dopesville. We all make mistakes from time to time - but some folks just seem to make it a full-time profession!

lololololololol Keep those revs up and get around 'em before they even see you coming!

Cheers and happy riding,
Mike