Main Menu

MotoGp 2020

Started by Walt_M., February 29, 2020, 08:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walt_M.

I just saw that NBCSN is showing the opening round from Qatar Sunday the 8th at 1230 EDT. It could be interesting, the Yamahas and Suzukis have been fastest in testing. 
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

Thanks for the heads-up, Walt. Haven't followed too keenly for the last couple of seasons but hope to this year.
Today's tech. on those bikes is tomorrow's tech. on ours. AND WE LOVE IT!

Cheers,
   Mike
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

fret not

Looks like a delay of the first two races. :police:  The Moto2 and 3 teams and bikes are on site at the track in Qatar now as they have been having a major practice session there, but travel for all the personnel required for MotoGP from Japan and Italy (both hot spots for the covid19 virus) would be too dangerous.  Since no further travel is required for the Moto2&3 teams they will hold those races, but the GP is cancelled, and also the race in Thailand is cancelled.  This is a very impactful disease, and could further disrupt the schedule of many plans.  Things were just about to kick off the new season with high anticipation for the challenge to the championship.  New guys, new bikes, new hopes, and now new obstacles.  This is a significant set-back for the race series organizers, and many other businesses, especially tourism.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

Well that just sucks. I guess we have to wait until April for COTA. At least it will give Marquez another month to recover from his surgery.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

Has ha ha! Yeah, I agree. It SUCKS! But what is the alternative? A field full of coughing and hacking riders with a few dead ones slumped over their tanks on the starting grid? lololol Oops - shouldn't laugh, even in jest. Sucks!
Sucks
Sucks
Sucks
Bugger
Drats
Bottie
Sucks Sucks Sucks

fret not

The main concern was the gathering of huge crowds of spectators plus all the personnel for the GP series (riders, mechanics, techs, managers and bosses, hospitality workers, etc.) from all over the world. :police:

MikeScoot

Absolutely. There are not only the riders but also team members, transport people, the Dorna staff, journalists, all manner of local contractors, marshals, vendors etc etc etc. And then there are the general public whose numbers dwarf the combination of all aforementioned groups.
The cancellation is a good, smart and responsible move - but depite the fact it's nobody's particular fault, not being able to enjoy a MotoGP in relative safety is still a bummer.
Let's hope this Corona thing is brought under control and eliminated as a hazzard as promptly as possible.

fret not

The Austin (COTA) round is postponed until November!  Hopefully. 

DORNA/FIM etc. have been shuffling event dates on the calendar to accommodate the disruption, so we will see how it unfolds as the days and weeks pass.  I think we have a real world event happening that effects nearly everything that involves large groups of people congregating (audiences, spectators, meetings, parades, etc.), and will effect history.

MikeScoot

History? That's for sure!

"Do you remember that year when you couldn't buy toilet paper?"
"Na. I don't think I had been born then, Dad."
"Yes you had. But you were too little to wipe yer own backside. Your Mom always thought I was crazy for saving 'em but the flipsides of all that partially used 'wet and dry' sure saved our @sses - unless we were drunk and got em round the wrong way."
"Is that why I've only got half an @ss, Dad?"

Walt_M.

I was talking to an acquaintance some time ago. He was telling me about his niece who is a college sophomore. She was telling him about a book she read for English lit called '1984'. She said that she had no idea things were so bad back then.
Not my joke but I like it.
Anyway, the season tentatively starts July, 19 with maybe 13 races. Yay, maybe.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

That's great news, and a bonus funny story too! Thanks!

Off to check the MotoGP site.

(added)
MotoGP™ is back! 2020 calendar released
A maximum of 17 more events will take place starting on July 19th at the Circuito de Jerez - Angel Nieto in this new 2020 MotoGP™ calendar

MotoGP™ is back. That's right, the 2020 MotoGP™ calendar is out with 17 races set to take place between July and December, with the four races outside of Europe to be officially confirmed by the end of July. Check out the 2020 calendar below:

The MotoGP™ season will start at the Circuito de Jerez – Angel Nieto in Spain with the Gran Premio Red Bull de España on July 19th and the Gran Premio Red Bull de Andalucía on July 26th. Following a weekend off, we'll head to the Czech Republic for the Monster Energy Grand Prix České republiky at Brno, before the myWorld Motorrad Grand Prix von Österreich and the Grand Prix von Styria at the Red Bull Ring in Austria all in the space of three weeks.

Three weeks later, the Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli will host the Gran Premio di San Marino e della Riviera di Rimini and the Gran Premio di Emilia Romagna e della Riviera di Rimini, rounds six and seven of the MotoGP™ World Championship, on consecutive weekends, with the rescheduled Gran Premi Monster Energy de Catalunya at the Circuit de Barcelona – Catalunya just one week later.

On October 11th, MotoGP™ will head to France with the rescheduled SHARK Helmets Grand Prix de France taking place at Le Mans. Just one week later, the fourth double-header of the season will take place in Aragon - the Gran Premio Michelin® de Aragón and the Gran Premio de Teruel. Then, two weeks later, the final two European rounds will take place at the Circuit Ricardo Tormo, with the European Grand Prix taking place on November 8th and the Gran Premio Motul de la Comunitat Valenciana taking place on November 15th.

However, we could see a maximum of 17 rounds taking place with four races potentially on the cards outside of Europe between November 22nd and December 13th. The Red Bull Grand Prix of the Americas, Grano Premio Motul de la Republica Argentina, OR Thailand Grand Prix and Shell Malaysia Motorcycle Grand Prix will all be confirmed before July 31st.

All dates, events and the eventual attendance of spectators are subject to the evolution of the pandemic and the approval of the corresponding Governments and authorities.

Walt_M.

It looks like they are really going to race. Test day today, FP1 and FP2 Friday. Qualifying Saturday and the race Sunday. Don't see network tv coverage so I'm glad I didn't give up on video pass.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

Yeah, great to have it back on again.
I'll have to wait a few days before viewing as my favourite site for such things seems to have folded. Ah well. TEEPEEBEE  ;)   will have it sooner or later.

Walt_M.

Hope you get to see it soon. It was a very exciting race. No spoilers.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

Great to hear, and thanks for the non-spoilage! :-)
Just started a download so will watch a bit later.
Cheers

MikeScoot

Quote from: Walt_M. on July 19, 2020, 10:20:36 AM
It was a very exciting race.

Yes, very much so! Some pretty fierce manouvers, outrageous riding, near misses, amazing saves and, unfortunately, what looks to have been a nasty crash.
Off to the Motogp website to check on the condition or the crashed rider.

And another race at the same circuit next week! Almost worth all the waiting!

Cheers :-)

Walt_M.

Well, it has been 3 days and the free on line issue of Cycle News is out with the results so this is no longer a spoiler. Quartararo started from pole but was quickly passed by Vinales with Jack Miller in 3rd. Marquez was P4. He passed Miller and set off after the leaders. Vinales went wide and Marquez got them both. Quartararo and Miller got Vinales. Marquez went off track into the gravel while leading but didn't crash and continued in 16th. Quartararo, Miller and Vinales. Marquez is picking riders off until he is P3 within reach of Vinales who had passed Miller. 3 laps to go and Marquez has a viscous high side that spit him into the gravel. His bike hit him before he stopped, breaking his arm. I almost didn't post this but it may have been the race of the season.     
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

Quote from: Walt_M. on July 21, 2020, 06:53:30 PM
... it may have been the race of the season.   

Yes, that's quite possible. It's also possible that with a few pretty talented relatively new players shaking things up, it could turn out to be the best season for a while too. lololol But hasn't every new season lately turned out to have been the best - at least since the previous one.  :-)

Great to have it all happening again! A bloke's body NEEDS adrenalin to be happy!!!

And speaking of adrenalin, I've been doing some riding here for the first time in many years. Local bike shop is giving me some bike-sorting work. I do the work at my place and enjoy the test rides immensely - actually I enjoy the bike work itself immensely too. Great to be back in the saddle again :-)

Walt_M.

If your job is doing something you enjoy, you can't call it work.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

Hmmmmm, wonder if I'm too old to be a sex worker jobber.