News:

Main Menu

MotoGp 2020

Started by Walt_M., February 29, 2020, 08:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeScoot

lololol
I reckon ANYone who engages in motor racing (or even horse racing for that matter) is a racist! In the same way, I'm a beerist - 'cos I make beer! And I know a bloke who organises art shows - he's an exhibitionist. Sexists, feminists, Mt Everists - makes my head spin!
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

fret not

In the late 60s and early 70s I recall when Mike Hailwood was winning by miles and I don't recall anyone complaining about being bored.  We just marveled at such mastery.  A win is a win, but I agree that many folks would rather see close combat because it is more "exciting".  Well, from my perspective a race is to be savored and appreciated for the skill, bravery, and knowledge it represents, and I don't get bored because the winner is a lap ahead.  There are so many things going on all at the same time: riders becoming fatigued, tires losing grip, position changes, etc.  If MotoGP is boring to you then watch Moto3 where everyone has about the same horsepower and circulates in a procession.  Get in line.
Retired, on the downhill slide. . . . . . . . still feels like going uphill!

Walt_M.

Did no one see the races this past Sunday?
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

I watched the MotoGP. It was a ripper!
@ Fret, my choice of the word 'boring' was a bit of a 'mischoice'. I should have said predictable. Whilst the racing is always great to watch, it is, at least for me, more exciting when the competition is tighter - I mean when the difference in times is closer and there is less distance separating the riders. Passing moves really get the adrenaling flowing.

fret not

I hear the "Boring" comment from many places, I'm not aiming at you.  As one who has raced I have a reasonably good perspective of the intense reality of being in the saddle on competitive equipment, and it is never boring.  I realize the comment comes from the spectator's point of view, and yes, close racing does get folks excited, especially those in the saddle.   ;)

MikeScoot

This HAS to be the best season in... how many years? I don't think I've ever seen such an exciting season! It may well go down as the best EVER. lololol But then, who would judge such things?
I reckon Quartararo has pretty good reason to be pis$ed off if it can, somehow, be proved that he didn't get the three warning he was supposed to get. Still, he managed to put on a brave and happy face - after he had cooled-down.

Jeez this is a good season!

Walt_M.

This has been much more competitive than in recent years. The absence of M. Marquez has a lot to do with it but the presence of more competitive bikes and racers  means more.
I realize Quartararo thinks he got a raw deal but he has himself to blame. He followed Espargaro far too long. When Mir caught up he quickly passed them both and rode away.
This just in; Jack Miller's crew pulled a visor tear-off out of his bike's airbox, which caused his retirement. The tear-off was from #20.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

I wonder what, if anything, can or will be done to prevent a similar tear-off problem in future.

Great season, and only a few days til Catalunya!!! I've been deleting the most recent races after watching them, but I think I'll save the rest of this season. Too good to not keep.

fret not

I am pleased that KTM has made their 'appearance' at the pointy end of the pack.  They have a very respectable team of riders, and their machine is WORKING!  In my mind this was to be expected (eventually) as KTM have been very competitive in off road and MX for quite some time. Their experience with the Moto3 class has shown them how a motor for a paved track needs to work.  ( single cylinder 250cc for Moto3,  4 cylinders of 250cc = 1000cc for MotoGP).  They used the smaller class to develop their combustion/power generating process, and transferred that knowledge to the Senior class.  It works! and  I am happy for them to have made such a major step forward.  Now, if we could get Kawasaki interested . . .

MikeScoot

Re KTM;

Yes they are doing quite well. The leap from single cylinders to multi is a HUGE one and brings all sorts of new considerations. :-) It also dispenses with a few old ones. Their REALLY big advantage, in terms of design and engineering, is that they seem to have become comfortable with - or at least good at - change. They also seem to have have a pretty good financial foundation and a good attitude from senior management to support these efforts.
I think we'll see even better things to come from KTM, judging from their trajectory!

Walt_M.

Need to revive this thread, congratulations to Joan Mir and Suzuki for the 2020 MotoGp world championship. He won last weekend and had a 37 point going into the next to last race. Franco Morbidelli won Sunday after a great last lap battle with Jack Miller, Mir clinched finishing 7th with a 29 point lead. The race for runner-up ends next week in Portugal.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

Yeah, great to see Suzuki win for the first time in a long while. It looks to have been a great bike all season. Being an Aussie I would have liked to see Jack win, but the result was a good one anyway :-)
Quite a unique season, and a great one!

Walt_M.

Watched FP1 and FP2 from Portimao, what a beautiful track in a beautiful setting! Hard to believe MotoGp has never raced here before. And everyone is fast. Qualifying Saturday should be interesting. 
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

Great! I'm looking forward to watching it. I don't subscribe to any media stuff here, so it will probably be Monday or Tuesday before I watch it.
Interested to see Portimao!
Cheers

fret not

Just WOW!  What an entertaining race season!  I am quite pleased to see Miguel Olivera win at his home track, and especially for KTM.  This shows the world that KTM have very competent riders and competitive machines for the sharp end of the chase.  Hopefully Aprillia can find some 'suds' for the coming season to help even things up a bit. 

I have often wondered what Luigi Dalligna was working on at Aprillia just before he went to Ducati.  We may never know, but I suppose Aprillia would have become significantly more competitive than it currently is, if he had not been poached by Ducati.  Money has a way of convincing people to do things, where money is involved.  Racing is a terribly expensive venture, as it will take all the money you can throw at it and want more. 

Now we get to wait for new rumors and paddock gossip to paint the picture of the 2021 season to come.  The soap opera intrigue of MotoGP just keeps on giving as we roll along finishing up this season and carving out the new one.  Contract negotiations will always be of interest, as well as sponsorships, and new tracks to be added.  Will Yamaha find what is missing?(2019 bike wins, 2020 bikes way down field).  Will Suzuki put 2 more bikes on the track in a satellite team?  Will Honda find some grace for their notoriously difficult handling bike?  It makes a body wonder.

MikeScoot

Excellent race! Olivera obviously felt really comfortable on his home circuit and was untouchable from start to finish. Morbidelli raced brilliantly too but was mugged by Jack Miller for second place. Great racing by all!
Being an Aussie, I was almost hanging off my chair into the final lap. The entire neighbourhood probably heard me cheering Jack on! And he did it for a good second place. Sorry Mr Morbidelli. :-)

Walt_M.

Jack rode a good clean race and earned his second place. I think Morbidelli was happy with a podium and second in the championship.
Whale oil beef hooked!

MikeScoot

Yeah, Jack rode a good race and has been steadily upping his results. I'd like to think he'll go on to even greater achievements, but this season has revealed a wealth of other extremely talented riders.
Next season should be very good too because quite a lot of riders have tasted success this year and will want more.

Walt_M.

Yes, next year should be interesting. Will Marc be back and how will he like the Honda now that mere mortals can ride it? Also his new teammate, Pol Espargaro? Will success spoil Suzuki? Ducati seems to be on the right path. As for Yamaha, maybe they could hire a psychologist, and don't interfere with Petronas!
Whale oil beef hooked!