Finally got it working

Started by carlharri123, April 05, 2020, 08:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carlharri123

Hi, its been a long time since my last post, probably 4-5 years, I bought my vision as a project bike, it had been stored in a container for 10 years or so, was last road registered in 1989, I have finally got round to sorting it out, I had numerous problems, starter clutch was cracked, bolts had backed out, cdi was knackered, got a good second hand replacement on well known auction site, built new HT leads, front cylinder gasket leaking, pretty much stripped the whole bike and cleaned and repainted it all, found a good second hand petrol tank, repainted it messed up the white decals so it is just plain star silver, generally lots of cursing and swearing but it finally starts and run pretty well, its definitely got the vision stumble though, I will post some pictures soon.

fiat-doctor

Way to stick with it!!  Looks very nice in the pictures.  If you can put a few miles on it, running may improve on it's one.  Nice work.

Walt_M.

Looks very nice indeed. Obviously you have a UK model and I know very little about them. Does yours have the vacuum airbox flapper that we got in the US? It did help with the stumble. Also, how many miles on yours? High mileage carbs have been known to have worn and leaking throttle shaft seals. Just a few things to consider. 
Whale oil beef hooked!

carlharri123

Hi, thanks for your comments, it is a UK model, does not have the vacuum operated flapper, and the Clocks are showing approx 17000 miles, I know the Carb boots are a bit cracked and don't know perhaps they may be leaking slightly, I do have another new set of carb boots and another built up and refurbished set of carbs, so at some point I may swap these into the bike, may help the stumble? I'm just going to run it for a while first to iron out any other Gremlins that may pop up, from experince to this point of getting it running I am expecting a few issues :),

What I have had trouble with is getting the exhaust to seal properly from  the y adapter to the manifold stubs any hints? and getting the clamps round and sealed is a real PITA.

carlharri123

Just to add it does have a flapper in the airbox but it is not actuated by any type of arm, just from I guess airbox vacuum only.

jefferson

You could try annealing the copper rings that seal the y pipe, but more than likely you will need to use some high heat silicone sealer. You might see what you can find close at an auto parts store. A friend did that, but wasn't specific on what he found.

MikeScoot

Quote from: carlharri123 on April 05, 2020, 03:14:27 PM
What I have had trouble with is getting the exhaust to seal properly from  the y adapter to the manifold stubs any hints? and getting the clamps round and sealed is a real PITA.

You're right. They are a PITA. The engineers at Yamahaha must have had some new type of  seaweed to smoke when they did those bits. If you undo everything and pivot the motor forward on the main bolt it would probably make things easier. It seems designed so that the motor and 'Y' piece are installed into the frame as one unit. I had a lot of trouble doing mine and then finally swapped the motor for another I had (for other reasons). Getting the motor in and installed with the 'Y' attached to the motor was pretty easy, but I has to be careful not to knock the 'Y' piece whilst doing it. Still managed to knock it a few times as I did the job single-handed. Two people would make it a lot easier.

Having said that, you CAN do it in place and it does get easier the second or third time. BUT doing it that way I still wound up with sealant getting smeared onto surfaces I would have prefered it weren't.

Apparently when that type of fitting is fixed correctly it is EXTREMELY gas-tight - IF you can get the right gaskets. I couldn't so I just used the old ones with quite a lot of high-temp. silicon sealant.

Have only run mine on the stand so far and it seems well-sealed. The proof will be after a bit of riding. There are a few snippets of tips on this subject of that 'Y' piece on the board. It seems those clamps really need something fairly firm to crush down on to make the seal good. I allowed the sealant to firm-up a bit before tightening the clamps right up.

Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.

carlharri123

Hi thanks for your replies, I hadn't thought of using high temp silicone sealant I had tried exhaust paste but all that seemed to achieve was paste going everywhere when I'm trying to wrestle the clamps on. 

carlharri123

Does anyone here have or know where to buy the carburetor emulsion tubes from?

carlharri123

hopefully here is a working video link, please take a look,

https://www.facebook.com/groups/32575026241/permalink/10157328875976242/

is it normal to have such loud what sounds like induction noise?

MikeScoot

Haven't watched the video because I will never use F***B***, so it's a bit hard to tell if it''s normal or not - BUT one of the most endearing features (for me) of the XZ IS the induction noise! I love it! It screams "Performance" (even though it's not at all state-of-the-art these days).

Fun fun fun!
Both Luthers had their dreams,
But I've just got one Vision.
Theirs got them into strifes,
Mine just takes me fishin'.